How I knocked out my $500 spend for Freedom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How I knocked out my $500 spend for Freedom

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to tell you a little tip if you're ever in need of meeting a spend requirement, or if you're already in the business of looking for a new bank account.

Once I received my Freedom a couple minutes ago, I applied for a US Bank account which allows CC funding (since I already wanted a relationship with US Bank). Put $500 on the card, and I'm SD'ing it until the categories can beat Discover. Free $150. 

Please note that sometimes banks will charge the CC as a cash advance, and you can see which banks do that here: 

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/

(not all banks allow CC funding)

Hope this helps to people who never knew about this! Just trying to spread the word Smiley Happy 

Ok, um. You are certain this transaction will qualify for the $500 spend? It was only a few minutes ago, after all....

Are you not aware that Freedom is 10 UR points per dollar on Amazon only to the end of the year? Seems like that already is a bit better than Discover.

I am sure. Cash advance limit on my card is $20. Transaction wouldn't have went through if it was a cash advance. Also, check the link I provided. Someone has already tested it. 

I am definitely aware. However Discover is the same as well when you consider double cash back promo. Therefore, it's kind of the same lol if you don't have a card to transfer UR to. 

Message 11 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am definitely aware. However Discover is the same as well when you consider double cash back promo. Therefore, it's kind of the same lol if you don't have a card to transfer UR to. 

Maybe no card to transfer UR through today. I don't, but the UR points do accumulate for use later.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe no card to transfer UR through today. I don't, but the UR points do accumulate for use later.

That's true, but in the current, I only plan to get cash back (with Disc and UR). Apping for CSP hasn't entered into my mind yet because my spend isn't high enough for me to want it. Maybe when I turn 21 or something? 

Message 13 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Interesting concept, but I suspect some lenders would not be too keen on offering a bonus based on a cash advance and it might come back to bite you later. Between cell phones, car insurance and one month's of utilities (electric and water) I very easily spend $500 in a month so these lower spend limits of $500 to $1000 in 90 days I have no problem hitting in 30-60 days at most. Add gas and tolls in there and I can very easy cover $1000 in one month without any concern about a future audit of my account causing issues.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

Interesting concept, but I suspect some lenders would not be too keen on offering a bonus based on a cash advance and it might come back to bite you later. Between cell phones, car insurance and one month's of utilities (electric and water) I very easily spend $500 in a month so these lower spend limits of $500 to $1000 in 90 days I have no problem hitting in 30-60 days at most. Add gas and tolls in there and I can very easy cover $1000 in one month without any concern about a future audit of my account causing issues.

Hmm? Whoever said anything about offering a bonus on a cash advance?

This $500 funding is considered as a purchase, such as one of your utility bills (as aforementioned many times). I just don't have to worry about meeting the spend, as I already have my AARP to worry about, and would much rather put actual spend on my 2% FNBO to let it grow. 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

posts like this make me giggle

november spend

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.