Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Between Sprees?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Long Between Sprees?

I think I had my last spree at around 90 days adding 2 chase cards and an AMEX adding 3 HPs total I think. Plus I added a secured loan. Some may gasp and think I'm a credit freak taking it way too fast. My strategy was to have more accounts early so I have a better AAoA later and my credit file just wasn't thick enough for when I want to buy a home. In one spree I brought my available credit from 10k to about 40k . I have been letting about 3-10 percent post, and paying in full by the next statement yada yada game. But I really want to raise my credit lines to 100k by end of this year so I can just automate everything after statements cut and not blowout my utilization with regualr spend. My ulitmate goal being I don't have to pay before the statement cuts to baby sit my credit score. I ulitmately want have 100k-200k in CLs so I can just sit back and relax and still have great credit.

I don't want to be playing the credit game longer than 2 more years. I have my next 2 years of financial planings scooped out in saving, investments, and credit with 5-10 action items every month. If you don't already have an end goal, then I would suggest thinking about that and making a strategy. 

People can chirp around and say this and that. But you know what is best for you. 

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spread my 17 card spree over 8 months.
Message 12 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I don't spree but if I did it wouldn't just be a matter of time but when my credit recovered from the spree.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Six months? More like six minutes around here. Smiley LOL

Message 14 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's pretty much YMMV, and I don't spree so I don't have experience with it, but I would say wait until your score rebounds some. Personally, I would space it out at least every 6 months or more. Every new account you get, the issuer can see your recent inqs and accounts. They can very well question why you've added so many so quickly. This is why sometimes sprees are counterproductive IMO because you can end up with crap limits and APRs (or not being approved whatsoever).

I believe it's better to be slow and steady because you tend to get more of what you want (i.e. better limit/APR). This isn't universal and doesn't apply to everyone's experience but it is a general trend that many new accounts = lesser "quality" of approvals as far as limit/APR. But if you are going to spree, I think waiting a minimum of 6 months is prudent. Just my opinion on it.

Message 15 of 16
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

6  To 8 Months   

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.