Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Do I Play the 1-9% Game???

tag
toi34
Established Contributor

How Long Do I Play the 1-9% Game???

I finally learned my new accounts' statement dates -- all cut on different dates. But I have it down pat for this month! LOL... By Friday I wil have gone from 72% util to 1% How long do I need to keep this "game" up in order to maximize my FICO score... a month, 2 months? Eventually will my credit score just plateau? The only reason why I ask is because it takes a lot of diligence to remember 5 different dates, etc.

Thanks for your input...  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: How Long Do I Play the 1-9% Game???

@toi34 wrote:

I finally learned my new accounts' statement dates -- all cut on different dates. But I have it down pat for this month! LOL... By Friday I wil have gone from 72% util to 1% How long do I need to keep this "game" up in order to maximize my FICO score... a month, 2 months? Eventually will my credit score just plateau? The only reason why I ask is because it takes a lot of diligence to remember 5 different dates, etc.

As long as you like Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 23
chadwick
New Contributor

@toi34 wrote:

You can call and ask each company to change your statement dates.

Message 3 of 23
toi34
Established Contributor

LOL! Will I reap great FICO rewards every month  that I keep this up?

Message 4 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@toi34 wrote:

LOL! Will I reap great FICO rewards every month  that I keep this up?

I go 4-5 months after an app spree to recover and improve scores

The first month I suffer from INQ's and new accounts reporting dings YMMV 

It works for me

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 23
Dustink
Valued Contributor

This is a temporary score effect. The first time you don't do this. Your score will drop again.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 23
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

To clarify, the premise of your question suggests that you believe your score improves based on continued good credit behavior.  This is a common misconception.  You do not earn FICO points for continued low utilization or for any other good credit practice.  A credit score is generated by feeding the information on a credit report through an algorithm.  The score is based solely on the information that is currently on the report.  There is no memory for what was on there previously.  You could religiously observe the 1-9% rule for years and all else being equal, you would end up with the same score if you had instead had your cards near maxed out for years and then paid them down to 1-9% the following month.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 23
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Like the other poster suggested, you should ask the credit companies to change your due date so that they fall on the same day. I never had an issue having the due date that's convenient for me, whether it was with Cap One, Amex, Chase or Discover. I actually contacted Amex a few days ago so that my auto pay with them would be on the 15th of the month, which is the same with my other credit card. I know with Cap One and Discover, you can do it online. 

Message 8 of 23
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I have mind spread out so I can plan my bill payments after new statements post. So I pay the cards down/off, let that post then use as needed and keep the cycle going. That allows me to use them, get a few weeks of use then pay them. I have a pretty good system going. I've been doing that for a few of my cards.

As for your score, it's a snapshot of what's going on now for utilization plus your past payment history, average age, ect. Last month I had a card report a $1500. balance. This month it reported $27. I gained 7 points after that hit my reports. Another card showed $3500. last month. The statement just closed at $971. My utilization will be 7% after that hits my reports in a few days. Hoping to gain another 5-8 points then maybe a few more from a $1550. CLI last month. I'll work on other CLIs then. If I get them that will further lower my utilization . I'm going to keep the <10% game going then.

As was mentioned, let the balances report higher and watch your score go lower.
Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 9 of 23
enharu
Super Contributor

If I am not bothered with applying for any kind of new credit, I usually let balances report. It does hurt when you have one or more card being maxed out, but at the same time it does show usage.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.