cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Have You Lasted Using CCs to Stay Alfoat?

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

How Long Have You Lasted Using CCs to Stay Alfoat?

From everything I have read on these forums, it seems that it is relatively easy to live off of CCs for one, two, or more years.  What I mean by that is if unemployment occurs, given that you have enough CCs and some cash in the bank, then it is possible to live off of using CCs for groceries, bills, etc. for several years if need be by just paying the minimum each month.  Of course, this would amount to quite a bit of interest over time, but if it is a necessity to carry a balance, it seems like CCs really help you stretch that dollar.  Does anyone have experience with this where they fell on hard times and had to rely on credit to get you through?  I am not trying to single out those who have struggled in the past, but I am curious as to the purchasing power of CCs over cash (i.e., how long they can keep you afloat before the next job offer comes through).

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Re: How Long Have You Lasted Using CCs to Stay Alfoat?

think about it if you were a lender, would you want you to do this. if you know that prospects are good into the future, do it. just be careful, but if you don't know don't do it.

the objective of unsecured debt is to smooth out the rough patches. sort of like wall patcher to fix patches or the windshield patch guy that comes over to fix the crack in the windshield. he'll do it as long as the crack isn't too big. but for big repairs that cant be patched or are just to impractical to patch, that is what insurance is for. people that want this kind of protection, get insurance like aflac or something like that.

it is up to you (your responsiblity) to be the repair man, to be financially skilled enough to decide wether or not you can smooth things over correctly with your patch tools and patch materials.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

From everything I have read on these forums, it seems that it is relatively easy to live off of CCs for one, two, or more years.  What I mean by that is if unemployment occurs, given that you have enough CCs and some cash in the bank, then it is possible to live off of using CCs for groceries, bills, etc. for several years if need be by just paying the minimum each month.  Of course, this would amount to quite a bit of interest over time, but if it is a necessity to carry a balance, it seems like CCs really help you stretch that dollar.  Does anyone have experience with this where they fell on hard times and had to rely on credit to get you through?  I am not trying to single out those who have struggled in the past, but I am curious as to the purchasing power of CCs over cash (i.e., how long they can keep you afloat before the next job offer comes through).

Three years. This included hotel, food, car, gas, etc. Not going to discuss specifics, but this was a single mother who got screwed in a divorce.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can last for 21 months without paying interest. To live by CC longer than that, I need low APR cards with hefty limit like NFCU,Alliant,USAA.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Until about 11 months ago I spent ~15 months living on a $500 CL card.  I didn't think I would be able to get another credit card, but then 7 months ago I tried and got approved for the Citi Dividend Platinum Select, which has a $4000 CL.  Needless to say it made things quite a bit easier but my UTL was very high up until 3-4 months ago.

Now I've got 2 more cards - AMEX Clear ($2000CL) and Chase Freedom ($3000CL) - and my UTL is acceptable and will be below 30% on Friday.

Message 5 of 7
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

You know, I thought about it, and I really don't even WANT to know the answer to that question. I hope I never find out.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 6 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

I've ended up doing it to some degree since I bought my house.  Still working, just needed to get appliances in (I think there will be enough left in my reno escrow to pay that off), pay out counters (my GC didn't have a source for granite), purchase and have cabinets refinished (found a deal), deal with a water issue, hire out HVAC stuff, install gutters (water issue), etc.  I just got "paid back" out of escrow for the cabinets & counters.  I immediately paid off 2 of my over-burdened credit cards.  I'm holding some in cash until I switch employment, then I'll pay down/off other balances.  

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.