cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long to wait for CLI request with Amex since non usage?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

How Long to wait for CLI request with Amex since non usage?

Received CLD on all our Amex cards last year and  stopped using them, Recently decided to product change one and start using it.  How many months of PIF usage should I have before I ask for CLI on it?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How Long to wait for CLI request with Amex since non usage?

CA, I have to say that in your case, I don't think it's a question of a set number of months. I think it will be more a case of when your reports are settled down --util, etc.

You've posted a lot about your struggles, and I sympathize, but I don't think that you can expect some sort of typical time limit for asking for CLI's, etc. You have to be realistic --this is American Express we're talking about.

If you've got everything back under control, I hope that you will excuse my reply. I'm just going on what I've read that you've written.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

CA, Amex is the last company you want to tackle now. You might risk the chance of them closing your accounts. Leave them alone for now.
Message 3 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

Use the card and ask for a CLI after two months.  I opened my card in August and requested  a CLI in October.  If your credit is still good with little to no utilization on CC's and no lates on mortgage payments if you have any, I wouldn't be affraid to ask.  They can only say Approve or Decline.   Do not be affraid of a single bank.  The banking industry is still saturated.  One can move on if they're not satisfied.
Message 4 of 12
mgeorges
Valued Member

i wouldn't ask for a credit limit increase from amex, they are the worst people to ask, they might ask for a financial review so i would leave them alone
Message 5 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

@mgeorges wrote:
i wouldn't ask for a credit limit increase from amex, they are the worst people to ask, they might ask for a financial review so i would leave them alone

What could terribly go wrong with AMEX requesting an FR?  If one was honest about their income in the application they shouldn't have anything to worry about.  I guess I'm missing something.  In January I'll be asking for another CLI from AMEX.    

Message 6 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Hauling you are so right about my credit, I'm letting that beast just sit for a while, I have had to many accounts be closed.  I should have clarified better in my first post.  The Amex cards I speak of are in my dads name, he has made me account manager on the accounts which with Amex gives me full access to everything just like the accounts are mine.  They do all show up on my credit but Amex is not looking at my credit for the account hopefully, we did use to have problems with amex softing me but they say they have corrected problem.  I think I will wait 3 months on the account that I don't care about in case they close it, then I would not ask on the account I'm using and just let it be
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with most people comments in here. AMEX is the worst company to ask for CLI.. I have AMEX Blue Sky for 1 year and I have asked for CLI 3 times and never get it. They even removed the CLI increase button off my account services. I dont think I will ever ask for CLI again and I will keep the card idle and WONT make them earn a penny off my account again beginning January 1, 2010. Dont even care if they close it!! I have other Mastercards to use, no need AMEX and they dont accept everywhere..

Message Edited by CreditCard101 on 12-13-2009 02:31 PM
Message 8 of 12
jestan01
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to agree with most people comments in here. AMEX is the worst company to ask for CLI.. I have AMEX Blue Sky for 1 year and I have asked for CLI 3 times and never get it. They even removed the CLI increase button off my account services. I dont think I will ever ask for CLI again and I will keep the card idle and WONT make them earn a penny off my account again beginning January 1, 2010. Dont even care if they close it!! I have other Mastercards to use, no need AMEX and they dont accept everywhere..

Message Edited by CreditCard101 on 12-13-2009 02:31 PM

3 times and no cigar??? Got my Amex blue sky 6 months ago, I asked for a CLI last week and was denied... Got it from Citi as well as Discover a few months ago, Cap1 didnt wanna play ball neither... Got a decent CL from Amex, just wanted more leg room since i'm gonna be away for a month in March in Rio de Janeiro.... I will never ask Amex again for another CLI...

Message 9 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

I'm not understanding how I was able to get a CLI from AMEX just after two months of having the card.  I never charged over $100 with the $2000 CL.  As a member of the forum would say, I guess they were apologizing for starting me with a low initial limit.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.