How Many Credit Cards Do YOU have?

tag
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Many Credit Cards Do YOU have?

5 CC's (MC and Visa only)

3 store cards

And I'm looking to prune

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 381 of 653
MommomG08
Valued Member

5 major credit cards and 1 store card
Message 382 of 653
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Please Reply: How Many Credit Cards Do YOU Own?

@Petraeus wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Petraeus wrote:

I'm just curious why anyone would close a CC? Even if you dont like/use/whatever, it doesnt hurt your AAoA and UTL doesnt take a hit.

To reduce clutter.  To reduce the chance of fraud.  To avoid lender closing it for non-use.

Closing doesn't impact AAoA for many years.  Of course, if UTL is a concern, then don't do it, but if you are not carrying balances, UTL is easily handled.

Edit: Lexie beat me...

I understand the fraud part but isnt there a risk regardess by having even just 1 cc out there? Plus with buyer protection in general I cant see that as a bullet point to close an account, although i could be wrong on this.

When there are accounts you aren't actively using and looking at regularly, it can take longer for you to detect fraud, and charges can add up.  And while in the end you are not financially responsible, it can take a while to get these things cleaned up.   

Generally, the reasons on both sides are small to very small!   Keeping low CL cards doesn't REALLY help anything very much when you start having much better ones and reasons for closing (earlier detection of fraud, no need to keep small spend on subpar cards to prevent closing by issuer etc) are also not huge.   So it comes down to personal style and preference.  I just wish both sides would realize that the value of EITHER decision is pretty small, so go with the one that suits your preferences, without thinking it is a "wise" decision!

Message 383 of 653
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Please Reply: How Many Credit Cards Do YOU Own?

0 credit cards! Only as an AU on parents CCs (For now)

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 384 of 653
cs91
Regular Contributor

Bank Cards:

USAA World Mastercard-11k

USAA World Mastercard-10.8k

Costco Amex-10k

Amex Blue Sky-5k

Chase Sapphire Preferred-7.5k

SeaWest Coast Guard FCU-1.25k 

Store Cards:

Best Buy-1.4k

Message 385 of 653
eddie84
Valued Contributor

• Discover It
  • Amex Optima
  • Amex Green
  • BofA Travel Rewards
  • BofA Better Balance Rewards
  • Barclaycard Arrival
  • Citi Diamond Preferred
  • Dell Financial Service
  • PayPal SmartConnect
  • BestBuy
Message 386 of 653
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

I have 32 credit card accounts ..., 23 credit and store card I got in last 8 months .. In garden till July 2014 aiming for CSP ... My dream card ...
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 387 of 653
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

11 Credit cards:

PNC points Visa
Citi Dividend Visa
Citi Diamond Preferred
Discover It
Chase Freedom Mastercard
Amex BCE
CapitalOne Platinum Visa
Barclays Priceline Rewards
US Bank Cash+
Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa
Penfed Travel Amex

Sometimes I feel like closing some of them, because I have trouble remembering the ones that are sock drawered.

I definitely won't be apping anything anytime soon, I got the 7 cards at the bottom of the list between late March and early April this year.
Message 388 of 653
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I have the 8 cards in my signature - no store cards - no closed accounts - no loans - no mortgage... simply 8 revolving accounts.. there is only one more card I would like to get  and this is CSP in 2014 Smiley Happy .. then I am set

Message 389 of 653
burghpa
Regular Contributor

Just 3 re-builder cards, 2 store cards and 1 auto loan.  On a positive note, since I don't have huge CL, i  don't owe anyone much (other than my auto loan).

2013 Feb EQ: 550 | 2017 Feb EQ: 722

Message 390 of 653
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.