cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many credit cards is good?

tag

How Many credit cards is good?

I did a bankruptcy in December 2011, and have so far fotten 2 cards from Capitol one, One with $1250 line, the other with $1,500.  They both startd lower and have since been moved up to those amounts.  

I only use the cards enough to maintain a 7-10% balance as I've heard this optimizes your scoring. 

Wells Fargo has offered me a "Secured" card where I deposit money , at least $300, in the account to be able to use the card.  

I'd like to buy a home later this year, and my current score is 684.

Will getting the secured card help my score go up faster?  I have no other types of secured credit, no auto loan or any type of debt, jus the 2 cards.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: How Many credit cards is good?

howmuchistoomuch wrote:.. have so far fotten 2 cards from Capitol one... Will getting the secured card help my score go up faster?   

No.  Once you have already qualified for unsecured cards, there is no reason to add secured credit.  Manage the utilization on your current cards and pay on time, all the time, and you will be fine.

Message 2 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+1

Plus if you are considering buying a home- you shouldn't add new TLs. You have reestablished with your 2 cc's. manage what you have and you should be fine.
Message 3 of 4
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@howmuchistoomuch wrote:

I did a bankruptcy in December 2011, and have so far fotten 2 cards from Capitol one, One with $1250 line, the other with $1,500.  They both startd lower and have since been moved up to those amounts.  

I only use the cards enough to maintain a 7-10% balance as I've heard this optimizes your scoring. 

Wells Fargo has offered me a "Secured" card where I deposit money , at least $300, in the account to be able to use the card.  

I'd like to buy a home later this year, and my current score is 684.

Will getting the secured card help my score go up faster?  I have no other types of secured credit, no auto loan or any type of debt, jus the 2 cards.

The more the BETTER!!!

J/k, it depends on you and how you manage it, IMHO.

I have 11.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.