Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many myFICO Fans Have Fixed Low Interest Cards

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

How Many myFICO Fans Have Fixed Low Interest Cards

Just curious if people have these fixed low interest cards.  How do you treat your cards ?

Do you use them regularly or only every few months? 

Did you plan on having a low interest card in case you need to carry a balance for a few months.

Or do you just intend to app for the latest card with  the latest introductory 0% interest rate as needed?

Thanks for any replies

29 REPLIES 29
DI
Super Contributor

Re: How Many myFICO Fans Have Fixed Low Interest Cards

All 10 of my cards are fixed at 0 percent APR b/c I PIFOT.
Message 2 of 30
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks for your reply, DI.

So you are one of the persons who have never carried a balance on a CC ?

If you have carried a balance, was it on a low interest card ?

I was wondering why no one ever  says they have a sub 7% card. They are available.

I realize rewards cards are the rage but what if you had to carry a large balance for 6 or 8 months.

What would  you do ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I don't have a fixed low interest card.  I recently determined I need to carry a pretty big balance for the next 12 months or so.  I had to break down and apply for a couple of new credit cards with 0% intro balance transfer rates to accommodate them.  Luckily my credit has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 2 years, so I was able to do it.  I don't even know who offers these low interest cards?  Can you advise?

Message 4 of 30
veracious
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I don't have a fixed low interest card.  I recently determined I need to carry a pretty big balance for the next 12 months or so.  I had to break down and apply for a couple of new credit cards with 0% intro balance transfer rates to accommodate them.  Luckily my credit has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 2 years, so I was able to do it.  I don't even know who offers these low interest cards?  Can you advise?

Simmons First Bank is one issuer. SDFCU is another.

Both of these CC issuers require high scores.

I'm looking for others if anyone has the info, I'd appreciate it.

I think it's a good idea to have a low interest card for a backup so you don't have to app for a 0% balance card every time.

andre181
Established Contributor

My Citi Forward is what I consider low APR (and its my lowest), 12.74% but it is variable.

My only fixed APR card is my Wells Fargo @ 13.49%

But I really don't care bc I also pay in full, or within 2 months for large purchases. If I can't afford to PIF within 2 months I don't buy it!

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 6 of 30
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I got 2 Citi offers in the mail for 0%, 21 months.  One was Diamond Preferred and the other was the Platinum.  I also got one for Discover a couple of days ago and believe that was 0% for 12 months.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 30
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I've got a Prime + 2.5% (currently 5.75%) fixed rate AMEX Platinum Optima card that I've had since 1990.  It has a $37,900 CL but I've never revolved anything on it, that's not the point of a credit card, imo.  You use it and PIF each month.

Zero percent introductory cards are a trap, nothing more.  No business can stay in business loaning money for free unless many of those people have balances owing when the introductory period expires, or they miss a payment, etc.

Message 8 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@veracious wrote:

Thanks for your reply, DI.

So you are one of the persons who have never carried a balance on a CC ?

If you have carried a balance, was it on a low interest card ?

I was wondering why no one ever  says they have a sub 7% card. They are available.

I realize rewards cards are the rage but what if you had to carry a large balance for 6 or 8 months.

What would  you do ?

Hi veracious,

@Anonymous lowest APR card is a BoA @ 7.9%. I only use it to pay my XM radio bill (about $16) each month. I guess if I had to carry a balance for a few months this is the one I'd use.

I think it's interesting that there is much talk around the Forums that seems to equate carrying a balance as some sort of death sentence and/or a mortal sin.  Smiley Happy

Now while I am among those that recommend always trying to never carry a balance forward I've lived long enough to realize that in the real world things happen and our plans of never carrying a balance or paying interest goes out the window.

I take with a grain of salt anyone who says they've never carried a balance.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 9 of 30
android01
Valued Contributor

I have an Ameriprise card at 9.24%.  I've never carried a balance on it.  I've carried many balances on CC's over the years because as others have noted, life happens, and I was very fortunate to have had those TL's when i really needed them.  Currently if I have to carry a balance, I'll use a LOC rather than a CC.

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.