Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many myFICO Fans Have Fixed Low Interest Cards

tag
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Re: How Many myFICO Fans Have Fixed Low Interest Cards

My two US Bank cards stand at 7.24% and 9.25%. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 21 of 30
veracious
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Hi veracious,

@Anonymous lowest APR card is a BoA @ 7.9%. I only use it to pay my XM radio bill (about $16) each month. I guess if I had to carry a balance for a few months this is the one I'd use.

I think it's interesting that there is much talk around the Forums that seems to equate carrying a balance as some sort of death sentence and/or a mortal sin.  Smiley Happy

Now while I am among those that recommend always trying to never carry a balance forward I've lived long enough to realize that in the real world things happen and our plans of never carrying a balance or paying interest goes out the window.

I take with a grain of salt anyone who says they've never carried a balance.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Hi marine,

I also find it interesting that  everyone always pays in full every month.

The reason I chose to app for a low interest card is because i didn't want to end up like my younger brother.

With the death of one of his in-laws he had the misfortune of being Johhny-on-the-Spot.

He didn't want to use his emergency fund for the benefit of the less than fortunate in-laws.

So he put a few ailine tickets on his credit card and is supposed to be repaid when the others are able.

Lucky for him he had a low interest card available. I told him not to hold his breath until he is repaid.

You never know what will happen when you get older, many of my favorite aunts and uncles are getting on  in years.

At least now I'm prepared.

BTW   Your FICO scores are awesome. You must be doing something right!

MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@scientifics wrote:

This actually brings up a question for me. My lowest card is 9.24% and it is variable, yet it has been 9.24% for as long as I can remember. Does the "variable-ness" only go into effect if you carry a balance? Or does it just not change very often?

I assume each card issuer uses a different formula for calculating the variable rate but here is how Cap 1 does it:

How can my variable Annual Percentage Rate (APR) change? Your APR may increase or decrease based on one of seven standard indices reported in The Wall Street Journal. To find which index is used for your account, look for a code (P, L, C, S, D or F) on the front of this statement next to the APR(s). Then check the table below:

Capture.PNG

My code happens to be "D". Now if you understand all that please explain it to me?  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 23 of 30
DI
Super Contributor

@veracious wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Hi veracious,

@Anonymous lowest APR card is a BoA @ 7.9%. I only use it to pay my XM radio bill (about $16) each month. I guess if I had to carry a balance for a few months this is the one I'd use.

I think it's interesting that there is much talk around the Forums that seems to equate carrying a balance as some sort of death sentence and/or a mortal sin.  Smiley Happy

Now while I am among those that recommend always trying to never carry a balance forward I've lived long enough to realize that in the real world things happen and our plans of never carrying a balance or paying interest goes out the window.

I take with a grain of salt anyone who says they've never carried a balance.

From a BK years ago to:

Hi marine,

The reason I chose to app for a low interest card is because i didn't want to end up like my younger brother.

With the death of one of his in-laws he had the misfortune of being Johhny-on-the-Spot.

He didn't want to use his emergency fund for the benefit of the less than fortunate in-laws.

So he put a few ailine tickets on his credit card and is supposed to be repaid when the others are able.

Lucky for him he had a low interest card available. I told him not to hold his breath until he is repaid.

You never know what will happen when you get older, many of my favorite aunts and uncles are getting on  in years.

You have to remember that many  people in these forums are the exception.  If someone is more credit savvy, they're more likely live within their means,  charge what they can pay off monthly, and  find ways to make credit work for them and not against them.   They also more likely to have an emergency fund.  Speaking for myself, I am one of the exception.  I haven't always been, but I am now.   My FICO scores reflect that.

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

@veracious wrote:

Hi marine,

You have to remember that many  people in these forums are the exception.  If someone is more credit savvy, they're more likely live within their means,  charge what they can pay off monthly, and  find ways to make credit work for them and not against them.   They also more likely to have an emergency fund.  Speaking for myself, I am one of the exception.  I haven't always been, but I am now.   My FICO scores reflect that.

Awesome!  DI     +1

Message 25 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@veracious wrote:

Hi marine,

I also find it interesting that everyone always pays in full every month.

This is something else I read with a healthy dose of skepticism.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 26 of 30
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

My Barclays Juniper Visa is my lowest at 7.99% fixed, and has stayed there since 2009.  I use it approx 2k each month, and pay in full. My highest is Citi at 16.99% with a 25k credit line have had since 1984 when it was at like 22% back then.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 27 of 30
keithc
Regular Contributor

i have 1 fixed card- a c/u  6.9 visa with a 5k limit

Message 28 of 30
ILBrian
Regular Contributor

Citi Professional Card 6.74% APR fixed had for like 3 of 4 years now

Elan Card 9.24% variable 

Wallet: Discover IT, Discover Gas, Citi Professional (6.74% apr), Chase Freedom, Cap1 Quciksilver, Élan Financial Rewards, BOA Amex, Walmart, CareCredit, Paypal Smart Connect, Kohls, HSBC Cash or Fly, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Zync, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, USAA Plat Rewards, Chase Ink, NFCU Plat
Message 29 of 30
plasticguy
Established Contributor

BOFA WORLD MC 5.90 Fixed Contract rate since 2004 67K limit PIF low usage Date Opened: 02/2004 Date of Status: 06/2011 Reported Since: 01/2009 Last Reported Date: 06/2011 Type: Credit card Terms: N/A Monthly Payment: $15 Responsibility: Individual Credit Limit: $67,500 High Balance: $33,025 Recent Balance: $0 Recent Payment: $169
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.