Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Credit Is Too Much ?

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

How Much Credit Is Too Much ?

After successful apping over the past 12 months, DW and I have several credit cards with total credit limits that are equal to $99,700 plus an Amex Plat NPSL.  Our total annual income is about $115k.  At some point, will one of these companies soft my reports and see that we have too much ? And if so, how do they decide how much is too much ? My biggest fear is that by some storke of bad luck I get CLD'd by several companies at the same time and my total CL plummets.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: How Much Credit Is Too Much ?

I'm around your income level and I'll be happy with 40% of my income in available credit. This plus 3 months expenses in bank gives you a tremendous amount of cushion. I guess it depends if you use credit for business purposes or if your debt to income ratio is already high. Duncan

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am presently at 100% of my income available on my revolving credit.  So far no rejections due to income ratio vs available credit limits.

Message 3 of 4
Crashem
Valued Contributor

FICO scoring for sure does not take into account available credit vs income (since it doesn't take into account your income).  However, it is possible individual lenders might do so, but I have rarely seen it.  Under manual review, it also might hurt.  However, I do think getting a bunch of new credit does harm your credit temporarily.  FICO scoring does take this scenario into account via multiple ways (reduced AAoA, new account hit, inquiry hit, etc.).  FICO obviously takes into account using too much credit vs having too much available credit.

Personally, assuming you are using your credit responsibly, I don't think you can have too much credit no matter what your income is.  You might have problems getting credit lines too high with low income.  Even under manual review, having too much available credit can be read as positive.  For example, if I have 100k in available credit and responsible use, I would think underwriter looking at my 50k auto loan favorably as I know how to use it responsibly.  In my opinion, too much new credit vs current credit and too much credit use is what will harm you.  Otherwise, you can't have too much available credit.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.