Regular Contributor
tpatterson2k9

How Often Does High Limit Reset?

Out of my three credit cards, the one that I use the most shows a "high limit" of $4,350 of a $5,500 CL.  This happened back in fall 2009 when I charged my tuition for a semester.  I paid this balance down below 30% util within two months, but to this day the high limit is still the same.  Does anyone know if this is something that gets "reset" to a more recent high limit after a certain amount of time, or is this stuck there for the life of the credit card?  Secondly, if the high limit remains as long as the CC is reporting, I imagine getting a CLI would help alleviate the negative impact this is likely having on my score, correct?

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
ifinet

Re: How Often Does High Limit Reset?

[ Edited ]
I dont think it goes away. It does update though if you make a purchse worth more that your previous high balance. I think that high balance field is useful for manual reviews. It makes one think you made a big purchase and paid it off without a hitch :-) BTW: high balance doesnt get factored for scoring as long a CL is being reported.
mudkip

Re: How Often Does High Limit Reset?

Yep, having a large high balance is a good thing IMO, as long as your overall utilization is much lower. It lets manual reviewers know that you are actually capable of using your credit. I would think having a bunch of huge credit lines with high balances under $100 or something would look a little odd to a manual reviewer. Back in the dark ages when Cap1 didnt report credit limits to bureaus, people would sometimes make a big purchase with their new cards as close as possible to their credit limit to maximize it.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+