cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Often Is It Just Luck?

tag
Astraywhit

Re: How Often Is It Just Luck?

it depends on the issuer, if you have a relationship with that--like a bank account, they take that into consideration along with income, years in current position, current residence as well as credit score, credit history, and so forth..

If, you do a lot of "inquiries" within the same time period it isn't as bad as doing consistent inquiries over a long period, say you have one or two every month for a few months in a roll.. because if you're shopping around for mortgage rates each lender you go to you are going to have to have your CR/CSs pulled

Message 11 of 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Everything else being equal...

***One gets denied for Discover it for inquiries, and one gets approved with 14 inquiries?

***One gets denied for BCE for short history with 2 years AAoA, and one gets approved with < a year history?

***One gets denied for CSP due to low limits on other cards with one card $3500, and one gets approved with high limit of $2500?

***One gets denied for Freedom with a 730 CS, and one gets approved with a 640?

All these scenarios have been posted here on myFICO. So, is it sometimes the luck of the draw? Are good results sometimes out of our control? Thanks for your comments.

It all depends on what the applicants credit file consists of. Thick files with recent baddies usually get some leeway. Thin files with some positive history can get some leeway.

Also the lender comes into play as well. I don't think there is any luck involved. Even on a recon, if your a smooth talker you can get in sometimes.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 24
mhjr5500
Established Member

What is the backdoor way?

Message 13 of 24
sandman2435
Established Contributor

I was approved yesterday for a Chase Freedom 10k limit..and they pulled 2 credit reports..Eq and Ex..I have 8 inq on both in the past 6 months..BUT!!!..I have a very thick credit file and 0% Uti.. and no baddies and scores in the 700's..So I really think its how your credit report looks...AAoA is 8 years as well

Message 14 of 24
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Everything is not equal among applicants. Amex asks for income and investments... Thereby placing heavier weight on ability to pay. Their formula also considers how large the payments were to your other creditors (ex tracks payment history).

All of these things are indicators of disposable income. Amex likes folks with disposable income.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

To be fair Webby, I don't know if a lender exists in either time or space that doesn't like consumers with disposable income when it comes to credit cards Smiley Wink.

        
Message 16 of 24
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
To be fair Webby, I don't know if a lender exists in either time or space that doesn't like consumers with disposable income when it comes to credit cards Smiley Wink.

I back web's statement, here's why:

AMEX prefers disposable income because they have a model that favors PIF customers. Some issuers bank on lower income, yet still solid payment history profiles. This may yield a higher probability of carrying a balance.

AMEX makes good money with swipe fee's, while some store card might make good money from somebody revolving their new TV purchase for 3 years. Both 2 perfectly profitable ventures from complete opposite business models.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 17 of 24
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Issuers have 1000's of data points in determining the terms or denial of an application. Two people have very identical profiles, yet one get's denied. Maybe they were in the wrong zip code, or something as minute as that.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 18 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Dustink wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I back web's statement, here's why:

AMEX prefers disposable income because they have a model that favors PIF customers. Some issuers bank on lower income, yet still solid payment history profiles. This may yield a higher probability of carrying a balance.

AMEX makes good money with swipe fee's, while some store card might make good money from somebody revolving their new TV purchase for 3 years. Both 2 perfectly profitable ventures from complete opposite business models.

My apologies if my post came across the wrong way; it was a failed attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor.

You're absolutely correct to say that Amex weighs this heavily; however, all credit card issuers all like people who spend money on their cards, and the more the better... assuming of course they get paid back.

Banks get money from swipe fees too, they just don't get the backend transaction side that Amex does; that doesn't mean they don't want you swiping their card as often as possible regardless of card type.

        
Message 19 of 24
Croselx
Contributor

No 2 profiles are the same, Util, total amount of available credit, AAoA, recent inquiries, income and many other variables will make sure of that.

I think that the only luck factor is in getting a nice UW once you recon (as has been said before).

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.