cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Often Should You Apply For American Express Cards?

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: How Often Should You Apply For American Express Cards?

@kogama wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Apart from the other answers given, there is also a limit that is getting more enforced, such as a maximum of 4 personal revolvers.  So you would have to close an account at a certain point before getting a new one.

Are personal revolvers credit cards? I have 3 credit cards and 0 charge cards. I do not want to pay annual fees and none of my cards if you look in my signature have one.

Sounds like are good for now on cc, with 2 being recent, 4 may be somewhat pushing the enveolp...in any case a more difficult approval than the charge products.

Just app green and/or gold in Jan, the AF is waived year one and the D* bene will still apply even after the cards are closed before AF posts in year 2.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 11 of 23
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@kogama wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Apart from the other answers given, there is also a limit that is getting more enforced, such as a maximum of 4 personal revolvers.  So you would have to close an account at a certain point before getting a new one.

Are personal revolvers credit cards? I have 3 credit cards and 0 charge cards. I do not want to pay annual fees and none of my cards if you look in my signature have one.

Sounds like are good for now on cc, with 2 being recent, 4 may be somewhat pushing the enveolp...in any case a more difficult approval than the charge products.

Just app green and/or gold in Jan, the AF is waived year one and the D* bene will still apply even after the cards are closed before AF posts in year 2.

By "Gold" - you mean PRG... Much better deal points-wise.

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 12 of 23
score_building
Senior Contributor

@ficobgtx wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@kogama wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

By "Gold" - you mean PRG... Much better deal points-wise.

Yep.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 13 of 23
kogama
Valued Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

@kogama wrote:

I wonder if AmEx upper echelon staff read this and wonder...

I hope not. It's because of things like this that get the good perks shut down.

I don't think there is anything they would object to here.  They cap the number of cards you can have,and of course they determine the CL on each card, so they are well in control.   If they think you are bonus chasing, they can stop that when you apply in future, and anyway, the new rules coming May 1 will reduce that possibility anyway.

And it's not as if they don't know about back-dating.

Some of the other threads would be of more concern...

What are these new rules you speak of?

Message 14 of 23
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@kogama wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

@kogama wrote:

I wonder if AmEx upper echelon staff read this and wonder...

I hope not. It's because of things like this that get the good perks shut down.

I don't think there is anything they would object to here.  They cap the number of cards you can have,and of course they determine the CL on each card, so they are well in control.   If they think you are bonus chasing, they can stop that when you apply in future, and anyway, the new rules coming May 1 will reduce that possibility anyway.

And it's not as if they don't know about back-dating.

Some of the other threads would be of more concern...

What are these new rules you speak of?

New card bonus once per lifetime. You can get the card again you just don't get the bonus.

Message 15 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@kogama wrote:

Lets say you were me and in the business for increasing your AAoA through AmEx.

In addition to AmEx's limit on number of cards keep in mind that AAoA is only 15%:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 16 of 23
kogama
Valued Member

@takeshi74 wrote:

@kogama wrote:

In addition to AmEx's limit on number of cards keep in mind that AAoA is only 15%:

Ahh thank you for the reminder!

Do you guys think amex would honor backdates that occured before their policy change where someone is only a few years old or even before they are born under a manual review or account review.

Message 17 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@kogama wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@kogama wrote:

Ahh thank you for the reminder!

Do you guys think amex would honor backdates that occured before their policy change where someone is only a few years old or even before they are born under a manual review or account review.

If the person had its MSD locked in it will not matter. If you are referring to inheriting someone's card history and have never been an AMEX cardholder, then no -that policy changed a few years ago. 

Message 18 of 23
kogama
Valued Member

If the person had its MSD locked in it will not matter. If you are referring to inheriting someone's card history and have never been an AMEX cardholder, then no -that policy changed a few years ago. 

I have my few decades old MSD reporting on my credit report (inherited)  and I have 3 AmEx of my own, does this mean it will be honored?

Message 19 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@kogama wrote:

I have my few decades old MSD reporting on my credit report (inherited)  and I have 3 AmEx of my own, does this mean it will be honored?

If it gives that old MSD when you log in, it should give you that on future cards.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.