cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Old Were You When You Got Your AMEX Platinum Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Old Were You When You Got Your AMEX Platinum Card?

I recently was approved for, and received my American Express Platinum card.

I have a buddy who works for AMEX and laughed at me when I told him I was going to apply for a Plat card, without being a previous Amex member. Knowing I've had my USAA Amex (sponsored) and my USAA MasterCard with perfect payment history for about five years, and credit scores all above 750, I decided to give it a shot.

Instant approval. Smiley Surprised I am going to be 24 this August.....

Anyone else shocked to see their Plat approval go through?

John

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Old Were You When You Got Your AMEX Platinum Card?

I was not 24 but maybe 34 when I got my first one. 

In the early days when it first came out, it was the toughest card to get, PERIOD.  Granting credit was different in those days.

I could not qualify on my score alone and had to put $ on deposit with their investment arm (a ton of money) and they gave me one thru that side of the business.  I just had to have one.  Today, they dont even have that investment arm business anymore like they did 20 years ago it was closed some years ago . . . but I have one again Smiley Very Happy 

Message 2 of 15
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 15
lazerz69
Contributor

25.  I technically got my 2nd AE platinum at 27.  The second was when the CSR at the local AE office used platinum card stock for my Optima Card with 10k limit. 

Message 4 of 15
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@lazerz69 wrote:

25.  I technically got my 2nd AE platinum at 27.  The second was when the CSR at the local AE office used platinum card stock for my Optima Card with 10k limit. 

I believe the Optima card IS a Platinum card.  Mine is.  Not to be confused with the Optima Oasis card which is not a Platinum card and is issued to those trying to get back in Amex's good graces by paying off charged off debt.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 5 of 15
android01
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a buddy who works for AMEX and laughed at me when I told him I was going to apply for a Plat card, without being a previous Amex member. Knowing I've had my USAA Amex (sponsored) and my USAA MasterCard with perfect payment history for about five years, and credit scores all above 750, I decided to give it a shot.

John

When I was 24 I could think of a helluva lot of other things to spend $450 on instead of the annual fee for a credit card, but what ever floats your boat! Smiley Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 6 of 15
lazerz69
Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

@lazerz69 wrote:

I believe the Optima card IS a Platinum card.  Mine is.  Not to be confused with the Optima Oasis card which is not a Platinum card and is issued to those trying to get back in Amex's good graces by paying off charged off debt.

At the time I got my Optima Card, (about 20 yrs ago), I do not think it was considered a Platinum card.  I was never In bad graces with AE.  My Optima card was originally a blue color, but I was never told it was considered a Platinum card.  It may have been, but I just was never told so.  The Optima Card I had was, IIRC, the first AE card that had a pre-set spending limit . . . I think.  It has been so long ago, I can not remember breakfast let alone 20 yrs ago.  I no longer have the Optima Card.

Message 7 of 15
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

John

When I was 24 I could think of a helluva lot of other things to spend $450 on instead of the annual fee for a credit card, but what ever floats your boat! Smiley Happy

I couldn't agree more... Unless it was absolutely necessary or my employer was footing the bill (which mine won't as they offer the corporate AmEx), then I would pass on the Platinum card. I guess I'm just one of those people who look at credit/charge cards over the long haul and decide whether the cost of ownership is worth more than having used the money elsewhere. Over ten years this card would cost upwards of $4500 and may not reward the same amount in benefits compared to a card with no AF or a much smaller AF. That $4500 could be used to pay down debt or increase your wealth/retirement accounts which would be worth a lot more come 40 to 50 years from now.

But each person has there reasons for owning specific cards and I'm sure you have a valid reason for wanting/owning the Platinum card. I received the Green card at 20, closed it a year later as I did not benefit much from a charge card with an AF. The first year fee was waived.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

John

No offense but I sure do hope your buddy doesn't work in the credit department.

It has been proved 100 thousand times over again that once you get over the Zync level if you get approved for Green, you could get Platinum... and I am seeing Gold and Platinum being approved with scores as low as 645!

Message 9 of 15
dnice77
Regular Contributor

1st of all congrats, if thats what you want and you got then congrtas.. but i dont think age has anything to do with it anymore. if you have a decent file, good enough score and income  i dont see why you wouldnt have been approved. im older than you but burnned them and i have a plat.

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.