Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Finish Fixing My Credit with New Credit Cards

tag
BuffaloBill
Established Member

How To Finish Fixing My Credit with New Credit Cards

I've been rebuilding my credit for the last 6 years and I'm nearing the end of the road but need some assistance in getting over the last hurdle.

I currently have the following:
- 3 baddies - 6+ years old (I can't wait til they fall off!)
- 1 low limit Orchard Bank account (now Cap One)
- Student loans in good standings
- 1 Auto Loan (Paid 2 years ago)
- FAKO scores around 695

Goals in the next 1 - 1.5 years:
- Mortgage
- 2-3 high limit credit cards

Things to avoid:
- Anything that will negatively affect my credit for more than 1-3 months
- Chase, Wells Fargo

Other Info:

- I had an Amex that went to collections but I paid it, right after it high the first collections level.  At the time they offered to open a new $5k account with them (I stupidly declined because I was pissed at them)

I'd love to get some of the prime credit cards but I'm afraid that I probably won't be able to until the 3 baddies drop off in a year.  In the mean time I'd like to do what I can to get my credit in the best shape possible and graduate to the higher limit cards with no fees and good rewards (e.g. cash back or airlines).

I am willing to do a secured card with a high limit (e.g. 5k) if that helps.  But I want to make sure that it doesn't report as secured and has the option to graduate to an unsecured.

Does anyone have some recommendations?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How To Finish Fixing My Credit with New Credit Cards

Why avoid Chase?

Message 2 of 8
BuffaloBill
Established Member

Because they are two of the baddies Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Have you looked into some credit unions you may apply for? Too bad chase is out of the question. Nonetheless how about Amex, discover ,  citi or is bank? 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 4 of 8
BuffaloBill
Established Member

I certainly would be interested in Citi or Amex.  It's just a matter of what they will give me...  I don't want to applying willy-nilly to try to find a card.  I want whatever card I apply for to have a very high chance of getting it.

I've been considering a Cap One - 1% rewards card as I got a pre-approval in the mail.  This is the kind of card that I want (rewards) but I don't want some crappy 1k limit. 

Message 5 of 8
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Whogavemecredit.com research cards from those banks and then check that site. If your fico is close to that fako you could possibly get a Zync. If you want a revolver I've read that the delta Amex gold isn't bad

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 6 of 8
BuffaloBill
Established Member

The Whogavemecredit.com website is giving me an error.  It looks like their site is down.

Message 7 of 8
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@BuffaloBill wrote:

The Whogavemecredit.com website is giving me an error.  It looks like their site is down.

yep....i'm getting the same thing

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.