Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure†
08-14-2012 07:08 PM - edited 08-14-2012 07:25 PM
I've been rebuilding my credit for the last 6 years and I'm nearing the end of the road but need some assistance in getting over the last hurdle.
I currently have the following:
- 3 baddies - 6+ years old (I can't wait til they fall off!)
- 1 low limit Orchard Bank account (now Cap One)
- Student loans in good standings
- 1 Auto Loan (Paid 2 years ago)
- FAKO scores around 695
Goals in the next 1 - 1.5 years:
- 2-3 high limit credit cards
Things to avoid:
- Anything that will negatively affect my credit for more than 1-3 months
- Chase, Wells Fargo
- I had an Amex that went to collections but I paid it, right after it high the first collections level. At the time they offered to open a new $5k account with them (I stupidly declined because I was pissed at them)
I'd love to get some of the prime credit cards but I'm afraid that I probably won't be able to until the 3 baddies drop off in a year. In the mean time I'd like to do what I can to get my credit in the best shape possible and graduate to the higher limit cards with no fees and good rewards (e.g. cash back or airlines).
I am willing to do a secured card with a high limit (e.g. 5k) if that helps. But I want to make sure that it doesn't report as secured and has the option to graduate to an unsecured.
Does anyone have some recommendations?
08-14-2012 07:26 PM
Have you looked into some credit unions you may apply for? Too bad chase is out of the question. Nonetheless how about Amex, discover , citi or is bank?
08-14-2012 07:35 PM
I certainly would be interested in Citi or Amex. It's just a matter of what they will give me... I don't want to applying willy-nilly to try to find a card. I want whatever card I apply for to have a very high chance of getting it.
I've been considering a Cap One - 1% rewards card as I got a pre-approval in the mail. This is the kind of card that I want (rewards) but I don't want some crappy 1k limit.
08-14-2012 07:42 PM
Whogavemecredit.com research cards from those banks and then check that site. If your fico is close to that fako you could possibly get a Zync. If you want a revolver I've read that the delta Amex gold isn't bad
08-14-2012 08:02 PM
The Whogavemecredit.com website is giving me an error. It looks like their site is down.
yep....i'm getting the same thing