Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Play BOA?

tag
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

How To Play BOA?

Hi All

About 2 months ago, I was approved for a BOA card - GREAT!! my lowest interest at (I think 10.99%) BUT also my lowest CL to date of $1100

I have not used the card since I got it - and obviously wouldn't have even apped if i knew that just $1100 was on the table

I always keep my util very low, I was thinking of writing to them and asking them to close the account, thanking them for a great APR, but letting them know that the CL just makes the card unusable - I just spent $4k on a carpet for the new addition, $3k for a tv etc etc - none of which, I would have been able to charge to this card because of the CL (those charges were obviously PIF before reporting balances)

Do you think it's worth asking for a CLI? or will the fact that I have not used the card count against me? I pesume a CLI will need a HP? - I'm in the garden and don't necessarily want a HP on my file

Thanks All Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How To Play BOA?

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Hi All

About 2 months ago, I was approved for a BOA card - GREAT!! my lowest interest at (I think 10.99%) BUT also my lowest CL to date of $1100

I have not used the card since I got it - and obviously wouldn't have even apped if i knew that just $1100 was on the table

I always keep my util very low, I was thinking of writing to them and asking them to close the account, thanking them for a great APR, but letting them know that the CL just makes the card unusable - I just spent $4k on a carpet for the new addition, $3k for a tv etc etc - none of which, I would have been able to charge to this card because of the CL (those charges were obviously PIF before reporting balances)

Do you think it's worth asking for a CLI? or will the fact that I have not used the card count against me? I pesume a CLI will need a HP? - I'm in the garden and don't necessarily want a HP on my file

Thanks All Smiley Wink

Yes, a CLI with an account that new will likely result in HP.  If you haven't used it at all, they may ask you why you would want a CLI when it hasn't been used at all (if you decide going via the analyst route and in the event you request manual review/HP), even for transactions that don't necessarily restrict the $1,100 CL.

Message 2 of 5
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I say keep the card for a while and see if it grows with you.  I started at $500 last spring and got an auto CLI to $1500 at 6 months.  At a year, I asked for $5000 and got, then 3 months later asked for $7500 and got.  The increases I requested were HPs, but I feel like the card has really grown with me.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 3 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kimmiller112 wrote:

I say keep the card for a while and see if it grows with you.  I started at $500 last spring and got an auto CLI to $1500 at 6 months.  At a year, I asked for $5000 and got, then 3 months later asked for $7500 and got.  The increases I requested were HPs, but I feel like the card has really grown with me.

+1

Usage will help.

Message 4 of 5
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Both

- I appreciate the input

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.