Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Safely Sock Drawer (SD) A Credit Card

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: How To Safely Sock Drawer (SD) A Credit Card

@Anonymous wrote:
You probably aren't getting 10-30 inquiries and new accounts every six months either lol

+++++++11111111 LOL

Message 31 of 40
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Smiley Tongue
@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For me-

I think it is very important to make sure that my cards stay over on the left side of the drawer with my socks-

On the right side of the drawer are my wifes socks and as we all know they cannot be trusted- sure they seem like a decent lot of socks... but no!

YMMV

Smiley SurprisedHilarious! Thanks for the laugh!Smiley Very Happy

My wife is not allowed in my sock drawer! Lol 😃

My wife stays outta my drawers as well!

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 32 of 40
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Technology our friend. you can load cards up in phone wallets. if you are a consistant Amazon Customer you can split up the whole subscribe and Save Shipment between 5 credit cards (one per item) if you want.

I I buy about 3 cups of coffee a day.

once every other month, I take a few cards per day with me a rotate a coffee through them.

my wife and I together have 40 cards, so I'm tweekin' on caffeine pretty good by Friday

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_is_crack wrote:

I made some calls to the banks and got an outline at least together. 

*Chase - considers inactive after 9mo if no charges/payments;  however if you have other cards with them and are using those, they will overlook the inactive card

*PenFed CU - considers inactive after 12mo if no charges/payments; they wont close the account though. it just makes it difficult for CLI's due to low usage

*USAA - considers inactive after 6mo if no chares/payments; but they have the same rule as chase, use another USAA card and they turn a blind eye

*NFCU - does not have an "inactive policy", but stated after 2yrs they'd reach out to member about low usage. low usage on 1 card can impact CLI ability on another card (from NFCU)

*Amex - considers inactive after 12Mo, didnt specifiy would be closed, but at 12mo they start digging in your profile (amex profile, not credit report)

*BofA - considers inactive after 9mo, but depending on "relationship" they will turn a blind eye -- i dont have anything but the card so 9mo or less it is!

*Citi - would not tell me their guidelines around inactive accounts and closing cards

*Comenity - stated 1 charge/1 payment every 6 months is considered "standard usage"

*Discover - would not tellme their guidelines, but never heard of a Disc closure so my guess is that its a loose rule

*Barclaycard - considered "low usage" at 6 months, reviewed for closure at 12-18mo depending on age of account

At least with this i know, or have an idea, of what I should charge to each and how often without having to worry about any risks...my current habits are well below thier guidelines so I'm feeling better now!

Thanks for compiling a list!

Message 34 of 40
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

Hi All,

So i've been on a building mission this past year and am back in the garden. now that i've got a few cards, i rotate the cards charging something on each one at least every 45-60 days. I've heard of some banks that either close your account (worst case), or decrease the credit limit for low/no usage. has anybody experienced this recently - like in the last 2 years, although i'm still interested in any of these horror stories lol 

how often should i charge something on my card so the bank doesnt get weird? do some of you think thats based on how much (or low) the average spend is in a certain time frame, or are people actually putting their cards in the sock drawers for 6+ months at a time?

how long do you let your card go without any use? 

Thanks!

I haven't used my Macy's card since I got it which was in June or July 2015 and didn't use it until Feb 2016. I have some other cards around that same time frame being idle and are still active... I usually go every 6-9 months and charge stuff on all my cards.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 35 of 40
All4One
Valued Member

My oldest card, I haven't used since 2008. still open, same low credit limit, still reporting to the big 3

AMEX BCE $15k // IHG Rewards $5900 // USAA MC $3000 // AF BANK $1000
CK 774 (3/14/14) // CS FAKO 792 (3/1/14) // Quizzle 761 (1/16/14)
Last HP 3/20/14
Message 36 of 40
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

*PenFed CU - considers inactive after 12mo if no charges/payments; they wont close the account though. it just makes it difficult for CLI's due to low usage

From personal experience I can say that statement by PenFed is not always true.  Quite a number of years ago, I had an actively used credit card with them for which I paid much, much more than the minimum each month.  When I paid the credit card off, they immediately closed the credit card without alerting me.  I still have no idea why they closed the credit card or my checking account with them.  I paid the credit card in a timely manner every month, and I had more than ample funds in my checking account.  They would never answer my questions.  They left my savings account and IRA in place.  It took a long time for me to trust them again, and I am still leary even though I still have the savings and IRA with them, as well as a credit card they approved and issued a little over one year ago. 

And thank you for the great summary.  I have saved it to a Word document.

Also, I had a store credit card that I had not used in 12 months and they closed it.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 37 of 40
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@All4One wrote:

My oldest card, I haven't used since 2008. still open, same low credit limit, still reporting to the big 3

LOL That's just epic. 

Message 38 of 40
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@credit_is_crack wrote:

Hi All,

So i've been on a building mission this past year and am back in the garden. now that i've got a few cards, i rotate the cards charging something on each one at least every 45-60 days. I've heard of some banks that either close your account (worst case), or decrease the credit limit for low/no usage. has anybody experienced this recently - like in the last 2 years, although i'm still interested in any of these horror stories lol 

how often should i charge something on my card so the bank doesnt get weird? do some of you think thats based on how much (or low) the average spend is in a certain time frame, or are people actually putting their cards in the sock drawers for 6+ months at a time?

how long do you let your card go without any use? 

Thanks!

I haven't used my Macy's card since I got it which was in June or July 2015 and didn't use it until Feb 2016. I have some other cards around that same time frame being idle and are still active... I usually go every 6-9 months and charge stuff on all my cards.

I think in time I'll have a similar setup, but while they're fresh (and Im still attractive to the banks) I want to grow them so when i do go idle, I've got a set cushion and dont have to worry about which card to check on, or CLI, or close - you know the things every single person on here obsessively does at some point or another. lol guilty as charged! Smiley Very Happy I do know the unknown can happen too, but the day-to-day, week-to-week, month all the way to year-to-year wont be something I'll need to dedicate time too.

Message 39 of 40
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

From personal experience I can say that statement by PenFed is not always true.  Quite a number of years ago, I had an actively used credit card with them for which I paid much, much more than the minimum each month.  When I paid the credit card off, they immediately closed the credit card without alerting me.  I still have no idea why they closed the credit card or my checking account with them.  I paid the credit card in a timely manner every month, and I had more than ample funds in my checking account.  They would never answer my questions.  They left my savings account and IRA in place.  It took a long time for me to trust them again, and I am still leary even though I still have the savings and IRA with them, as well as a credit card they approved and issued a little over one year ago. 

And thank you for the great summary.  I have saved it to a Word document.

Also, I had a store credit card that I had not used in 12 months and they closed it.

I only read your story, but even i got sick to my stomach. I imagine that would make me feel very vulnerable and panicing about the other cards I have. Yet, as soon as I read your story, i instantly though...."thats a very PenFed thing to do".... They have that weird thing where they cut people off for no reason. They seem to have a history of balancing chasing on cards similar to your experience so i deliberately only charge big buys when big payments quickly follow..just in case. When they love, they LOOOVE you, but when they dont, you almost feel unwelcomed lol 

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.