cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is Wallaby and what places actually categorize themselves for merchant?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

How accurate is Wallaby and what places actually categorize themselves for merchant?

I was out to dinner last night with my partner and a newer friend of ours and just had been thinking I always forget to look at Wallaby before paying for things but had just grabbed Chase Freedom out of the drawer as we were walking about for the 5% Restaurant.  Anyway just as the waitress was walking away with the check and my Freedom card the APP pulled up and our friend was like oh what is that and I was like "oh it tells you what card you should use, like the freedom I just used is 5% on restaurants and so then you look and here is the restaurant and right there it says freedom is 1%.... WHAT??? I like read right through it just knowing already in my head everything only to then realize that according to Wallaby the 7+ restaurants that were in this little shopping center all were some type of food but only 1 (one out of all of them) showed that it was a restaurant that qualified for the chase freedom bonus!!

So that got me thinking, How accurate is this because I know we have a lot of questions on here about groceries and big box stores and stuff but I guess I just never thought that a restaurant would evver be something different... and I thought the 5% bonus counted on fast food too?!

(I almost yelled after the waitress acrosss the restaurant to give her our Navy Flagship instead... I already hate chase Freedom and then to swipe it for 1% really just got me mad! lol

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Re: How accurate is Wallaby and what places actually categorize themselves for merchant?

@Creditaddict wrote:

I was out to dinner last night with my partner and a newer friend of ours and just had been thinking I always forget to look at Wallaby before paying for things but had just grabbed Chase Freedom out of the drawer as we were walking about for the 5% Restaurant.  Anyway just as the waitress was walking away with the check and my Freedom card the APP pulled up and our friend was like oh what is that and I was like "oh it tells you what card you should use, like the freedom I just used is 5% on restaurants and so then you look and here is the restaurant and right there it says freedom is 1%.... WHAT??? I like read right through it just knowing already in my head everything only to then realize that according to Wallaby the 7+ restaurants that were in this little shopping center all were some type of food but only 1 (one out of all of them) showed that it was a restaurant that qualified for the chase freedom bonus!!

So that got me thinking, How accurate is this because I know we have a lot of questions on here about groceries and big box stores and stuff but I guess I just never thought that a restaurant would evver be something different... and I thought the 5% bonus counted on fast food too?!

(I almost yelled after the waitress acrosss the restaurant to give her our Navy Flagship instead... I already hate chase Freedom and then to swipe it for 1% really just got me mad! lol

I've noticed that it's pretty accurate; however, it does not recognize what all businesses are. For example, I have a Freedom and CSP, and when I was checking its validity, I tried "Qdoba" (probably the only place I eat out! Smiley Happy ) and it said I should use my CSP, when in fact I know I should use my Freedom for the 5% quarter right now.

Message 2 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How accurate is Wallaby and what places actually categorize themselves for merchant?

@jenn_bar wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I've noticed that it's pretty accurate; however, it does not recognize what all businesses are. For example, I have a Freedom and CSP, and when I was checking its validity, I tried "Qdoba" (probably the only place I eat out! Smiley Happy ) and it said I should use my CSP, when in fact I know I should use my Freedom for the 5% quarter right now.

Yeah, I've been fooling around with the app, and then did some rewards tracking: I trust Chase (and Amex) more than Wallaby with their merchant designations.  Wallaby is a veritable baby compared to the lenders in question, eventually their data will improve (or someone will create an app which is simply better) but right now it's sort of like Waze was back in the day: lame, then it got better, and now it sold for a billion to Google.  

That's interesting actually, Wallaby competitor could be a crowd-sourced application, gameify it, and might actually do pretty well as the end consumers have knowledge of special offers that Amex / Chase / BOFA do on both their credit and debit cards (where applicable).  Would be able to pickup the Amex acceptance information as well with that, combined with something like Mint that likely can see the merchant designations for the transaction record... 

        
Message 3 of 4
Open123
Super Contributor

These apps can be useful, but I think when one becomes very familiar with his cards, it isn't necessary.  Without thinking I know which card will offer the best rewards on spend in every occassion.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.