Re: How are AmEx with AUs...?

Subway...eat fresh!Smiley Very Happy
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
There's a Subway inside one of the gas stations I go to. I choose to go there because I am getting my bonus cash rebate off of that sub and I am loving it! So yes, anything you purchase at the gas station, whether it be gas or merchandise, will count towards your bonus.

That's hardcore.  If you would get the Subway sandwich regardless it is a bonus, but a bit depressing to think that you are buying a Subway just to get some sort of cash back.  Blahh......

Cash back cards exist for a reason, because they make money for the issuers.  Everybody thinks it is a good deal because they are getting cash discount for stuff they would buy anyway.  But if you end up changing your consumption pattern by buying stuff just to get a discount, that's no bargain. 

Well of course... the cashback isn't THAT great, that's just like buying stuff because it's on sale even if you don't want it. But when I sat down today and looked at just how much my husband runs through the local Shell, BP and Speedway gas stations on a weekly basis... well, that in addition to our regular grocery shopping, a couple of trips to the drugstore and paying a few monthly bills will actually make this card pretty worthwhile. On my own I'd barely spend enough to even notice the cashback - but this way, the exact same spending that would be happening anyway will get us a very noticeable credit come the end of the year!

Now, if I started buying up the whole of Walgreen's just because 'it's 5% on drugstore purchases, yay!'then I think I would need professional help. Not going to happen though, I think I can safely say! Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh... just a thought. I'm 99% sure the husband's name/SSN are on the optoutprescreen 'do not send me crappy offers for credit cards I don't want' list. Does that mean AmEx won't be able to do the necessary softing to check his credit... or are they only interested in checking their own records to make sure he's not someone who's done 'em wrong in a former life?

(Asked him on the way home, and he confirms he's never had an AmEx card in his life!)
Message 13 of 15
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

fevmlo wrote:
Oh... just a thought. I'm 99% sure the husband's name/SSN are on the optoutprescreen 'do not send me crappy offers for credit cards I don't want' list. Does that mean AmEx won't be able to do the necessary softing to check his credit... or are they only interested in checking their own records to make sure he's not someone who's done 'em wrong in a former life?

(Asked him on the way home, and he confirms he's never had an AmEx card in his life!)

Opting out of pre approved offers doesn't affect the ability for a loan provider to check your CR at your request.  Only a full blown Credit Freeze will prevent them from accessing your information.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Opting out of pre approved offers doesn't affect the ability for a loan provider to check your CR at your request.  Only a full blown Credit Freeze will prevent them from accessing your information.

Aha, that's ok then - thank you! Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.