cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are charge cards "less of a risk" for Amex?

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

How are charge cards "less of a risk" for Amex?

Hello,

I know a few people say that Amex charge cards are easlier to get than their revolvers, but why is this so? Why are charge cards less of a risk for amex than their revolvers? I mean....one can burn amex with a charge card just as easily as one can max out one of their credit cards and only pay the min. balance each month or not pay at all.

Can someone please explain to me Amex way of thinking?

Thanks

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Re: How are charge cards "less of a risk" for Amex?

I've been a "Basic Green" charge card holder since 5/1999, switched to Gold charge, switched back to basic Green, & have been very happy with it. Based on my spending, AMEX constantly offers me the Platinum charge card, but I just can't reason with a $450.00 annual fee (they push it based on my overall spending). Typically I spend around $1100 - $1500 monthly, but I don't understand either how carrying a "charge" card is any less risky that someone with a revolving credit card. AMEX is going to be happier if you pay them long before your due date & just keep them aware if you have any "unusual" spending by calling ahead in respect to good relations.

IMHO....either way is a risk.

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 2 of 7
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

In general, people put amounts on charge cards they believe they can pay off within 30 days. The number of things that can go wrong in 30 days is limited. However, lots of people buy a big screen tv at Xmas planning to pay it off over a year, then lose their jobs 6 months later, get sick, etc. You are right that someone can do damage with either a charge or revolver, but most people don't intend to default (if you are spending beyond your means in 30 days, there is at least a willful disregard, if not an outright intent). Also, the buildup of debt over time is more pernicous than the sudden assumption of debt. Since charge cards don't allow debt to accumulate over time, they also eliminate this risk. Anyway, Amex also has a statistical model that predicts default risk and the fact that many of us have much higher internal limits on our charges than we do limits on our Amex revolvers at least implies that there is statistical support for the idea that defaults are less likely with charge cards. For example, I have a zync that I've charged 11k at a pop without any issue, but was given an initial cl of 1000 on my hilton revolver. Those decisions are made by computers, and computers are limited to risk models.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Charge card demands the entire balance to be paid off. It does not allow you to defer some balance for later payment.

Message 4 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The thing is , I totally get that it is technically less of a risk since you must PIF every month , but you can just as easily run up a bill and never pay it....so it is still just as much of a risk in my book xD
Message 5 of 7
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

charge cards you buy what you know you gonna be able to pay in full by due date.

revolvers lets you buy more than what you can have in your checkings and carry it for months.

if you planning on burning amex tho i guess you can do it with both.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 7
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
The thing is , I totally get that it is technically less of a risk since you must PIF every month , but you can just as easily run up a bill and never pay it....so it is still just as much of a risk in my book xD

It's probably based on Amex experience over the years, and they find that charge customers are less prone to default.  As others have said here, that's probably because charge customers at least intend to PIF when they purchase, when many revolvers are planning to pay back over time, with all the increased risk that that entails.

Also, don't know if this is true, but could credit laws make it harder to go after defaulting credit customers than charge customers?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.