Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are credit limits determined?

tag
coachb123
Regular Contributor

How are credit limits determined?

How does a card issuer determine the amount of credit to give a customer for a new card?  After cleaning up my credit, I have yet to have anyone give me a card with more than a $500 limit.  I make almost $50k a year and just recently bought 2 new cars for $38K and $39K.  Would it be possible to apply for a card with my wife?  Together we make over $100K.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
daveg38
Established Contributor

Re: How are credit limits determined?

From my personal conversations with 'analysts', they use some or all of the following factors:

*DTI

*Length of credit history

*Accounts previously paid satisfactorily

*Income

*Length of residency (not sure, but they wanna make sure you're not a 'flight risk')

*Current high credit limits

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 2 of 8
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

A joint account might help. The two auto loans will no doubt eventually help. A relationship with a card issuing bank helped me (both Bank of America and recently Chase). 

Message 3 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Credit unions are often more generous with limits. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

How long have you had the low limit cards, who are they issued through, secured or unsecured OP? This info would be helpful to see where you stand.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Are both those cars in your name only? & what is your Uti (IOW, how much credit is used on your credit reports?), and do you know your fico score?

Sorry for all the questions but we need to understand your credit profile a little better to come up with more suggestions for you.

I will say that as of right now, given the info provided, that is A LOT of car debit when apping as an individual...that could be one possible problem.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 8
coachb123
Regular Contributor

The car loans are joint between my wife and I. Utilization is low but I do have a lot of inquiries because it seems everyone use Equifax.

Cars are Cap One, Orchard Bank, Bank of America (secured). I had charge offs from credit one, and HSBC from 2008 and 2009. Have had the new cards since January. Got a Lowes card in May.

How many apps is to many in a year?
Message 7 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@coachb123 wrote:
The car loans are joint between my wife and I. Utilization is low but I do have a lot of inquiries because it seems everyone use Equifax.

Cars are Cap One, Orchard Bank, Bank of America (secured). I had charge offs from credit one, and HSBC from 2008 and 2009. Have had the new cards since January. Got a Lowes card in May.

How many apps is to many in a year?

Every app that is declined goes to the "too many" pile.   All the ohers are just fine.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.