Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you guys doing it!?

tag
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Re: How are you guys doing it!?

Income still plays a role doesn't it? What if you had someone who made 15k a year but had scores of 800 vs someone who makes 45k with 700. The 15k guy going to get a 20k SL? The 15k guy probably won't even get approved for some CC with the income being too low.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 31 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not everyone. My highest limit is 3.8K. I am also fairly new to rebuilding.

The key ingredient that we are missing is time. No one is going to throw a 10K limit at a new profile or a dinged profile without having to prove yourself first.

Hey a Tyndall FCU card! are you a fellow Panama Cityan?

I am! I figured no one would ever recognize that card LOL.

Message 32 of 54
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Time and Patience my friend.

We ALL start somewhere... nobody is granted 10k limits out the gate. Keep making on time payments and eventually you'll will get those limitis. If you have any derogs/late payments try  to send goodwill letters and see if those help.

That has to be my biggest draw back. I have no patience. WheN I want things I get them done and I get them done immediately. 
I've been rebuilding for about a year and half now. I turned 26 and bought a car at a crazy high interested rate, and just recently refinanced it to a decent rate. 
*sigh* I hate having to wait Smiley Sad 

That will make you a loser in many/most financial transactions.  Your adversary on the other side of the financial transaction will take advantage of your impatience.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 33 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't help but notice almost everyone here has $10K+ Credit limits.. and I'm over here with $1,200 being my max credit limit. 

How do you do it?! Smiley Sad 

I joined this site in Jan 2015 with scores a little lower than what you have right now. My highest CL at that time was an $800 Capital One Platinum. I also had a $500 Cap One Platinum and a $300 Cap One Platinum. Decided to take my credit seriously, did some research, and got to work. I had 7 collections and about 18 delinquent accounts. I applied for a lot of cards thinking I'd get up the ranks in no time. Nope. Got a $2k from Barclay down to a $500 Starting CL from AmEx. Fast forward a little shy of two years and now have 0 collections and about 7-8 delinquent accounts. Got my first +10k approval (15k to be exact) with my Venture card this past July. 

Time will always be a factor when it comes to credit repair. As much as I want these last few delinquents off my reports, I know that I must wait until they fall off. You'll get there. Just keep working at it! 

Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Time and Patience my friend.

We ALL start somewhere... nobody is granted 10k limits out the gate. Keep making on time payments and eventually you'll will get those limitis. If you have any derogs/late payments try  to send goodwill letters and see if those help.

That has to be my biggest draw back. I have no patience. WheN I want things I get them done and I get them done immediately. 
I've been rebuilding for about a year and half now. I turned 26 and bought a car at a crazy high interested rate, and just recently refinanced it to a decent rate. 
*sigh* I hate having to wait Smiley Sad 

You will have to learn to be patient with credit and in life. 

Message 35 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chickenpotpie wrote:

Time, diligence, strategic moves, and patience.

First card after bankrupcy was 900 dollars. I was very strategic in what I apped for (hate apping frankly), I was diligent about my credit reports.  Had to be as after bankrupcy they mixed mine up with someone that had worse credit than mine!!  That was an ugly cleanup job!.  Had to be patient while I was rebuilding and I really learned manage budgets without cards.   I think its almost a must IMO. That also meant that if I couldn't pay cash or didn't have the cash, I didn't buy it. (unless it was a life and death emergency...I didn't have any of those so moot point there).  Don't jump at the first offer, look at it, to see if it really fits for you, and don't be afraid to pass on it.  You may want to really be in a hurry to up your credit card limits but don't.  I threw away a lot of what I considered ugly offers.

My lowest card these days is 13K.  I'm now working to get lower interest rates across my cards.  The highest I have is 16% which is a chase card.  Unlike some, I have less than 5.  Strive for quality cards over quantity and make sure your cards are diverse.  Don't get too overexposed with one institution.

In the past CapOne worked well for me to get me on my feet.  They're  no longer in  my wallet as they don't work for me now, but they can be a great stepping stone to getting higher limits.

Outstanding advice! I agree 100% with everything you wrote.

Message 36 of 54
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Isn’t the real ? how do you do it?

I am a broken record, my story never changes:

Address whatever you can that is holding down your scores – very hard to get high sls or cls with low #s

Pay everything off

Don’t apply for anything else

Don’t ever get a store card unless you have a home and ucan use a lowes

Get a secured loan if you don’t already have an auto or lease going

SD everything but the C1

Go to your credit max and pif the C1 over and over again

Get a cli every 6 months

After you are over 5K apply for a venture if you are pre-approved for it

Assuming the SL is good shift your use to it to get the bonus and then pc it into a QS

Combine your existing card into it

Use it for 6 months and cli

Get in nfcu and apply for one of their cards, this is assuming your qs has a good limit

Never ever be late.  ever.  7 years to wait out a mistake.  Think about them apples

I started in 9/14 with a single $ 300 cap1 platinum with scores in the mid 500s.  The system works but you have to address any bads that will not let your scores flow upwards

Message 37 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The key ingredient that we are missing is time. No one is going to throw a 10K limit at a new profile or a dinged profile without having to prove yourself first.

Nice! Im from Lynn Haven, Ive been wanting to apply for their low interest card how do you like it

Message 38 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice! Im from Lynn Haven, Ive been wanting to apply for their low interest card how do you like it

It's good. I don't use it much, since I usually don't intend to carry a balance. (Cap1 has crept up on me though.) They are a little tight with scores in our range. I had to explain some things to the CS rep before they sent it to underwriting, then they gave me a 1K limit. But I love having a low interest option if I do need to carry a balance.

Message 39 of 54
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't help but notice almost everyone here has $10K+ Credit limits.. and I'm over here with $1,200 being my max credit limit. 

How do you do it?! Smiley Sad 

Its quite simple.

First we nurture our scores so they grow nicely into the 700's and 800's.

Then we research the cards we want and select the ones we will be getting in limited quantities.

Last we fill out the application for those cards in a specific order and get approved.

If we do not like the SL then we wait it out and get CLI's to 10k+.

Overall it just takes time and dedication. My report has my oldest account as 7 years but my oldest CC as around 3 years. I have quite a few 10k credit lines and some I intentionally have as under that amount..

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 40 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.