Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you guys doing it!?

tag
Gollum
Established Contributor

Re: How are you guys doing it!?

@Anonymous wrote:

There are certainly a lot of factors.  I'm jealous of the incomes on here.  I have a stated income of $36,000.  My fico score is range from 680-690.  I have about a 22K total combined limit across all of my cards, most of which are bank cards.  I agree patience is a key and I'd focus in on bank cards.  I would definitly pace yourself.  I went on an app binge and while so far it is ok and eventually will get great,  I do worry some about getting accounts closed because I went too fast.  Good luck

I'm sure we all would prefer to have more income.  Keep paying your bills on time.  My annual income is only $42,700, but after paying my bills on time for years, my current FICO score is 830.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 51 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 52 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aahz wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

@SkyCommander wrote:

Income still plays a role doesn't it? What if you had someone who made 15k a year but had scores of 800 vs someone who makes 45k with 700. The 15k guy going to get a 20k SL? The 15k guy probably won't even get approved for some CC with the income being too low.

Sure income plays a role, but not nearly as large a role as scores do.

Some of my history-

April 2014

- 3 cards totaling $1,800 in credit

- sub-650 scores

- denied for Discover with low 6-figure income

Nov 2014

- Reports get clean

- scores jump to around 760 

@- approved for Citi DC @ $8k - Sallie Mae @ $12,500 - Chase IHG @ $21,500(!) w/ same income as April

My 20 year old daughter only has $26k in income but was just approved for her first solo credit card:  $10k Chase Sapphire Reserve with their lowest available APR.  Why?  Because she has a 765 FICO as a result of an 18 month old Joint (not AU) BofA card which got a $15,000 line based on my credit.. 

Time and patience are very important skills indeed.  A high income never hurts.  But it's really all about clean reports and high FICOs.

6 figure income..

Image result for faint gif

Maybe when I finish my master's degree.. lol. 

I"m sitting around $46,000 right now. I'm 26 so I feel like I've fallen behind the "curve" of where people my age should be. I feel like such a failure sometimes. 
But thank you everyone. Looks like it just boils down to being patient and letting things "simmer" for a bit Smiley Happy 

I REALLY hope that's not all you took out of my post.  The point was that six figure income was only getting me sub-$1,000 credit lines while my scores were low, while my daughter got a $10k line with half your income.  It's not about the money coming in, it's about how well you've managed your credit.

As for feeling like a failure, I'm more than 20 years older than you and have been self-employed for over a decade.  That means 14-18 hour days, 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Income will play a role, but in my mind I feel credit worthiness (lates, derogs, etc) plays an even bigger role. I am 30 and make in the $50,000's and am also going for my Masters. My highest limit on a card is $7000. My fiance who is 31 and gets paid $40,000 has a limit of $16k on his Discover but his credit is freaking perfect. I have been rebuilding my credit for about 2 years. It's a slow process, but as long as you are able to make payments etc, your credit will grow with you. 

Message 53 of 54
tacpoly
Established Contributor

My situation is different from most who posted:  I had high limits from the beginning (35+, 50+K, and NPSL) because my parents made me an AU on their amex when I started uni so I benefited from their credit history.  I didn't know anything about FICO scores - having no clue about AAoA, I would close older cards when I got new ones.  I didn't keep more than 5 CCs, but luckily I rarely applied for cards (on average every 4-5 years).  My oldest line is nearly 25 years old and still actively used (wish I kept my first cc).  I don't bother asking for CLIs. DH is in a similar situation. 

Scores are very high, same with income.  We don't put nearly as much through our cc's as some people here; we do put everything through our cc.  We splurge from time to time, but we live pretty modestly.  We view credit as a convenience.  We make it work for us, we don't work for it.  So outside of paying all statements on time, we take a mostly passive role with credit cards. 

Message 54 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.