Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How available credit impacts score / approvals

tag
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

How available credit impacts score / approvals

Currently, I have CL of about 34k spread accross five cards.  Maintain 0 balances (pay before statements are cut) except for 1 card that has the highest CL - and keep the utilization below 5%.  My question is, does the avail credit hurt my position or strengthen?  I can see two perspectives from the lending world; 1. Responsbile  or 2. Could easy go into debt, so why extend more credit.  So which carries more weight?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: How available credit impacts score / approvals

@akula wrote:

Currently, I have CL of about 34k spread accross five cards.  Maintain 0 balances (pay before statements are cut) except for 1 card that has the highest CL - and keep the utilization below 5%.  My question is, does the avail credit hurt my position or strengthen?  I can see two perspectives from the lending world; 1. Responsbile  or 2. Could easy go into debt, so why extend more credit.  So which carries more weight?

Each lender has their own norm, and they take your income into consideration.

Message 2 of 7
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Currently my avail credit in only 1/4 of my income.  How would lenders in regards to credit cards, know my income?  I thought this information was not collected by the CRAs?

Message 3 of 7
Involver
Valued Contributor

They ask for income on apps...
Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@akula wrote:

Currently my avail credit in only 1/4 of my income.  How would lenders in regards to credit cards, know my income?  I thought this information was not collected by the CRAs?

When you apply, one of the questions is your income.

Message 5 of 7
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Ok, understood.  I would not mind verification, but I have never been asked for documentation on income that was inputted on an online approval - so I didn't think much weight would be placed on the answer.  Obviously, someone could just put a salary higher then their own in order to help the process - and balk if asked.

Message 6 of 7
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@akula wrote:

Here is my own take on this. Lender also do look as to how long you had managed that credit line. So say if someone has $50K limit credit card that he/she had amanged for 15 years with no issue at all. Lender would be willing to extend him a credit. Even though risk do exist. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.