Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad did I screw up here?

tag
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: How bad did I screw up here?

@Skye12329 wrote:
I dont know if npsl cards report or not but amex can report a 30 day late because it was past due. Anything past 31 days could report 60 days...etc. So they could report a late payment

100% wrong.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 11 of 20
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

OP- Has any adjustment been made to your available credit on the NPSL card?
CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 12 of 20
awp317
Frequent Contributor

Well I dont have a hard limit its just a NPSL limit. It is a "credit card" in that It doesnt say "please pay buy" it just says due on the 28th of every month with a mimimum due. But unlike a CC they can remove that ability whenever they please as it has happened to me before. Right now I would say everything looks good. I have used it and had no trouble thus far, I do unfortuanly have the penalty APR though, used to be 16.24 now it says the apr on carried balances is 25.24%. But as I never do actually carry a balance on it, thats not a huge concern. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are probably fine. Call Amex and ask them if it will report. When I was in college, I made a late payment on my Visa (approximately 5 days). I called my credit union and informed them I had paid late and asked if it would be reported. They informed me it would not. As others have said. I doubt Amex will report it if it is just a few days late, but call Amex and ask them to be safe. If it is something they might report, you may be able to talk them out of it since you corrected the error quickly and you have a history of paying on time with them. 

Message 14 of 20
awp317
Frequent Contributor

hopefully im in the clear. Citi wants to try and beat chase on my mortgage  and thinks they can refiance me at 3.1% so I dont want to screw up that. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 15 of 20
Chris679
Established Contributor

They can't report it because it wasn't 30 days late.
Message 16 of 20
AMTB
Valued Member

as bad as fart when you open the ring box while proposing...
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AMTB wrote:
as bad as fart when you open the ring box while proposing...

You owe me a new monitor. Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@go_FICO_self wrote:

not sure if you know this but for charge cards the payment due date is just a "suggestion." the true payment due date is when your next statement cuts, and that's when you need to pay the prior balance to avoid late fees/credit dings/etc. so, did you manage to pay off before your next statement cut? if so, then the damage is very minimal.

but if your platinum is now a credit card, then the payment due is a hard date I guess.

also, with credit cards, they report lates once is 60 days over, meaning having missed 2 consecutive payments. if you miss one, it'll most likely not make it to credit reports. So, the damage is internal, if any. If you're not planning to ask amex for more credit in the near future, then you're good and it'll go away on its own.

And if Amex does report the late, you can argue with them that the check you sent should have been accepted and as such, have the late removed.

The payment due date is actually a hard due date; but banks have something called as "late charge grace days" which allow customers to pay within these few grace days after payment due date before late charge is hit. This grace days was mostly to account for the payments to come in through mail. Typically it used to be 5 or 6 days earlier & in a way coincided with the statement cut date; but now they have changed it to 1 or 0 grace days after recent market changes and also to consider the fact that you can post instant payments online now. You can call your credit card company ask if there are any grace days on your account before a late charge is hit. It is mandatory that account activity needs to be reported monthly to the credit bureaus. But yes, since you only late < 30 days, you should not be reported as late & you can talk to Amex to have the late charge waived off.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:
They can't report it because it wasn't 30 days late.

I always had the same assumption as Skye... That even 1 day late could be reported as "30 days" on your CR, but looks like the above from Chris is correct.

Not sure if we're allowed to paste urls to other sites here, so I won't. But from the Mint blog, "The standard for late payment credit reporting isn’t 'one to 30 days late' as some may think. In fact, the credit industry standards manual (The Credit Reporting Resource Guide) states, 'The clock for a 30-day delinquency starts 30 days after the due date, as opposed to the billing date.' "

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.