cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad does it look whening applying for CC's and having 5 cards showing balances?

tag
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

How bad does it look whening applying for CC's and having 5 cards showing balances?

I am trying to get the best scores and paying down all my scores right now but I don't want to trigger something by paying some cards that have high balances now down to zero. I was thinking about paying half off and keeping about 5 down to about 20% to bring my score up right now the scores are in the 675 range accross the board. I can pay them off but I dont want to set any bells by paying to fast if you know what i mean. Its "SPREE" time and im ready to go so u guys know what if trying to do.

EQ-784 TU-777 EXP-772 12/11/15

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
New cards 12/12-NFCU-MC(18.5k), Simplicity(9.2k),Slate(7.5k),Amex(3.8k)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How bad does it look whening applying for CC's and having 5 cards showing balances?

@Legions36 wrote:

I am trying to get the best scores and paying down all my scores right now but I don't want to trigger something by paying some cards that have high balances now down to zero. I was thinking about paying half off and keeping about 5 down to about 20% to bring my score up right now the scores are in the 675 range accross the board. I can pay them off but I dont want to set any bells by paying to fast if you know what i mean. Its "SPREE" time and im ready to go so u guys know what if trying to do.

The only thing that might trigger is higher Fico scores.

Message 2 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How bad does it look whening applying for CC's and having 5 cards showing balances?

Yea it's actually better to have all cards reporting zero balance except for one. And that one should report a very low utilization of <10%.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since your scores in in the good range.  I would agree with the other comments.  You should be fine and more than likely gain some points.  I actually paid off virtually all my cc debt back in Feb but unfortunately  had much lower scores than you  and had 2 cc companies lower my limits.  Never any lates with those particular ccc but they had been close to maxed for a while.  

Message 4 of 7
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since your scores in in the good range.  I would agree with the other comments.  You should be fine and more than likely gain some points.  I actually paid off virtually all my cc debt back in Feb but unfortunately  had much lower scores than you  and had 2 cc companies lower my limits.  Never any lates with those particular ccc but they had been close to maxed for a while.  

OK well this was kinda a similar situation with me on some cards and I don't want to have some of these cards lower my credit limits by me doing this? Thats why I was asking these questions not so much for my score but for the creditors I currently have. I know about paying down and leaving 1 card with 10% but im not sure that is ideal for me with my situation.

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
Message 5 of 7
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

Updated fico scores as of today EQ-677  TU-669  EXP-677

Message 6 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You can use as many cards as you want as much as you want, just be sure to PIF. And you could always rotate the card that reports a balance to the bureaus. Ideally that would keep any creditors from taking any AA.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.