cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad is Citi about number of inquiries?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How bad is Citi about number of inquiries?

Now that I have the US Airways card I want the AAAdvantage card from Citi so the points can be combined later on.  I have like 7 inqs on EQ now

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: How bad is Citi about number of inquiries?

Citi is notoriously ANNOYING with their INQ expectations. With anything more than 5-6, be prepared to get declined for having too many INQS. Funny thing is that they also ADD their INQ to it too. I remember calling them when I have 10 INQ and I was told that I have too many. I told the lady that 3 of those INQ were a result of me asking for a CLI for the past 6 months. She then proceeded to tell me that CITI won't count "CITI INQS" then I asked why she told me I had 10 INQ instead of 7 lol. ALSO, YMMV, so you can try if you want.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 2 of 20
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

If I may add... My scores were pretty high back then... I was sitting at 775. If I were at 699 like I am now, I wouldn't even bother applying.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info.  Guess I will hold off

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied for Doublecash for inquiries back in August. I had 9 EX inquiries in the last 2 years at that point (3 in the last year), and my EX FICO was 677.

When I tried to Recon (2x), they stated that my credit profile qualified me for approval but that I had too many inquiries showing. So it's not exclusively 6 INQ/last 6 months as i've seen referenced on here before.

Message 5 of 20
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that I have the US Airways card I want the AAAdvantage card from Citi so the points can be combined later on.  I have like 7 inqs on EQ now

You say you INQ's are on EQ, they usually pull EX anyway. I hear they are INQ sensitive, but I think they don't really care. If they want to give you the card, they will. I was approved for my last 2 Citi cards with 8 and 9 INQ's on EX.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emptypockets wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You say you INQ's are on EQ, they usually pull EX anyway. I hear they are INQ sensitive, but I think they don't really care. If they want to give you the card, they will. I was approved for my last 2 Citi cards with 8 and 9 INQ's on EX.

It was a typo.  I meant EX

Message 7 of 20
dilettante
Established Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They double pull me each time on EX and EQSmiley Sad  I've opened up 3 Citi cards the past 10 months, the latest with 9 inq's on both EQ and EX and 3 months after the second Citi card, so I think it really depends on your overall profile.

Message 8 of 20
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Depends on who they pull for you. Back when I applied for my Forward, they only pulled EQ. That Inquiry is gone now, leaving me with a blank slate on EQ, but 6 INQ's on EX and TU. Chase and their double-pulling screwed me over. Smiley Frustrated

I always assumed Citi was one of the few major CCC's that always pulled EQ. But as always, it appears YMMV.

Message 9 of 20
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It varies depending on the profile, but the general consensus is if you have more than 6 INQ in the past 6 months, asking Citi for credit is like hitting a concrete wall at 70 MPH.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.