cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad will this mistake hurt me? Pd BOA 99/500 Card 5 Days Late!

tag
Lawlover2
Contributor

How bad will this mistake hurt me? Pd BOA 99/500 Card 5 Days Late!

I have been doing serious rebuilding (from upper 400's to mid 600's now!).  I got the 99/500 card from BOA, but I also have Cap1 (3000 CL) and Sams (600 CL).  I just made a mistake in trying to keep my utilization around 9% and totally missed paying the BOA by 5 days.  Will this ruin my chances of the BOA converting to unsecured at 9 months?  Anyone have experience with this?  I have all of the dates on my Outlook calendar, with reminders now!  Darn it, I am so mad at myself!!  It only had a $39 balance, and I have paid in full every time I have used it. 
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How bad will this mistake hurt me? Pd BOA 99/500 Card 5 Days Late!

Ouch I would call and beg forgiveness.. You will get a late fee, possible rate jack.. And I doubt you will unsecure at 9 months now...
Message 2 of 9
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

@Lawlover2 wrote:

I have been doing serious rebuilding (from upper 400's to mid 600's now!).  I got the 99/500 card from BOA, but I also have Cap1 (3000 CL) and Sams (600 CL).  I just made a mistake in trying to keep my utilization around 9% and totally missed paying the BOA by 5 days.  Will this ruin my chances of the BOA converting to unsecured at 9 months?  Anyone have experience with this?  I have all of the dates on my Outlook calendar, with reminders now!  Darn it, I am so mad at myself!!  It only had a $39 balance, and I have paid in full every time I have used it. 

I remember I mailed a payment 5 years ago to Citibank less than 2 weeks before the due date, but forgot to put a stamp on it.  I went on a business trip for 2 weeks and when I returned I saw the returned mail due to lack of postage.  I just went online and made the payment 4 days late.  It was still 6 days or so before the next statement was to cut. 

I called the CSR to see if they could waive the late fee since this was the first time since 1993 that I'd been late on a payment.  She said she couldn't because there was no late fee, but to call after the next statement posted and she would go ahead and waive it.  I looked at my statement the first day it posted and there was no late fee.

I know for sure Citibank won't report you as late to the credit bureaus unless you're more than 30 days late & now know that for me at least, they didn't charge me a late fee since they got the payment before the next statement was due.

Did you get a late fee from BofA?  If not, then I wouldn't bother with them.  How many months have you had your secured card?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to work at Wells Fargo, and they too have a small "grace period" before they report late, for CCs this usually is about 5-7 days, however for internal purposes, if you were on a 0% apr or a program that required you to pay on time per the conditions, of the incentive, you might loose that incentive. I would call them and plead with the for forgiveness and understanding (everyone makes mistakes, especially nowadays kinda speech might be good). But as far as the reporting to credit agencies, you will not get a late payment reported unless you are severely late, on average (from my knowledge) it is around 10 days after due date, sometimes up to 30 (or next due date)
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of those "unwritten" grace period rules apply to snail mail.. Like others have said, just call them and grovel. =)
Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I wouldn't even worry about it unless next month you see a late fee, then call and get a 1st waiver of it and you should be good.
Message 6 of 9
chivo
New Contributor

hello!! I have a question?...once you get to 9 months with the Boa 99/500,what will be their unsecured credit line?..thanks.

chivo

TU-629  EQ-652 EX-586.....

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They seem to bump most people to 1k, but then again some stay at 500.  Just heard today someone hit the luv button 3 months after unsecuring and got bumped up to 7k.
Message 8 of 9
chivo
New Contributor

Thanks fender,I opened the Boa 99/500 last nov/2008..still has some ways to go..I opened with orchard secured on July/2008 and first premier secured in August 2008..No lates on each so far...  Smiley Happy

Chivo

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.