cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How beneficial is it to leave oldest account open?

tag
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

Re: How beneficial is it to leave oldest account open?

I have a Macy's from 1991. Used to be Titche's, then Joske's, then Foley's, then something else, and it has always been around. Kind of like it in my wallet. Old stuff is good.

Message 11 of 58
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Shock wrote:

So my Cap1 Venture One is my oldest card (3.5 years old). I know keeping the oldest card open is beneficial for some, and that AAoA wont really be affected until a few years down the line. I know it will continue to report as positive for ten years, but if it doesnt suit my needs, I should close it right?

They have increased me thru EO semi accordingly, but it has become my lowest limit and I have only used the card for a Play Store purchase once since May.

I have just outgrown them and am really itching to get rid of it.

Thoughts or advice?

If your oldest is only 3.5 years, and there is no AF, I would recommend keeping it open. Charge something every few months to keep it printing Payment History. You only have 7 cards, no rush to close anything, and until your average gets closer to 8 years, you are still effectively building AAoA.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my QS, I rarely use the thing and my CLI on it is by far my lowest.

Message 13 of 58
Shock
Established Contributor

a 25 year old card is more important for aaoa than a 3.5 year old card. just saying lol

@Billybob_TX wrote:

I have a Macy's from 1991. Used to be Titche's, then Joske's, then Foley's, then something else, and it has always been around. Kind of like it in my wallet. Old stuff is good.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 14 of 58
Shock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Shock, sorry for getting that mixed up. I have a Quicksilver (that I never use) and I knew the QS One had the annual fee so I assumed it was the same for the Venture line up. If you don't care about keeping the available credit since your balances are so low, there would be no downside to closing it. You can just leave it there and they may close it eventually for you, but if keeping it open gives you any worry just close it.

It's fine. You wouldn't be the first or last lol. The only concern for me is the subprime thing (trivial i know) and the fact that if all my lines grow to 10k+ it will be the only one stuck at 4k. Not that I plan on applying for much more int he further, though  i likely will, but I think it may hinder my chances at getting higher starting limits. i know it doesnt make logical sense, but i figure if all my lines are 10k+ they will start me at 10k+. if they see a 4k card they may start me at 7500. Still trivial I know lol depending on a lenders algorhythm, but it's a computer who does it, which may mess up when it sees that 4k.

Message 15 of 58
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Shock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Shock, sorry for getting that mixed up. I have a Quicksilver (that I never use) and I knew the QS One had the annual fee so I assumed it was the same for the Venture line up. If you don't care about keeping the available credit since your balances are so low, there would be no downside to closing it. You can just leave it there and they may close it eventually for you, but if keeping it open gives you any worry just close it.

It's fine. You wouldn't be the first or last lol. The only concern for me is the subprime thing (trivial i know) and the fact that if all my lines grow to 10k+ it will be the only one stuck at 4k. Not that I plan on applying for much more int he further, though  i likely will, but I think it may hinder my chances at getting higher starting limits. i know it doesnt make logical sense, but i figure if all my lines are 10k+ they will start me at 10k+. if they see a 4k card they may start me at 7500. Still trivial I know lol depending on a lenders algorhythm, but it's a computer who does it, which may mess up when it sees that 4k.

Interesting theory. I have cards with low limits, the $1.5k is from 2005, so by that logic... wait, it isn't logical, it's only interesting Smiley Happy

Keep it open. $4k is not a bad limit, and the ageing benefit far outweighs any other algorithm issues you might imagine. Your card count is very low too, and the more lenders you have, the more you will attract.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card continues to report for 10 years after closed so it will help your AAoA and oldest account age for 10 years. However, after 10 years it drops off. Two factors effect your credit score in the age of accounts category. One is the AAoA and the other is the oldest account's age. I am not sure how much of an impact the total length of your credit history (determined by your oldest account's age), but it does have some impact. 

Generally, it is best to keep your oldest no AF cards open. They will continue to age and in 10+ years they will continue to help your AAoA. It's not the biggest deal to let them close though because 6-8+ year AAoA will give you very high scores for this category, so in another 10 years chances are you will have relatively high AAoA as long as you don't go crazy over apps then. 

Message 17 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shock, I totally understand. I wish I would have waited to see what Diners Club was going to give me before I applied for some of my other cards. Now I have a few cards with ~5K CLs that I never would have opened had I known I would get a $40K starting CL with Diners. Now I am looking at these smaller cards and their rewards programs and thinking "what am I supposed to do with these now?!". I plan on just leaving them open and never using them. Maybe once a year to keep them open I'll charge a couple hundred bucks and then PIF to keep them around. A few of them like my Citi Thank You Premier and Citi Double Cash I use for the rewards and plan to grow the CLs to 15K+ CLs with time. Also my AMEX cards that started with smaller CLs I will continue to use even after the minimum spend bonuses are obtained. The revolving credit game sure is an interesting one!

Message 18 of 58
taxi818
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Shock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting theory. I have cards with low limits, the $1.5k is from 2005, so by that logic... wait, it isn't logical, it's only interesting Smiley Happy

Keep it open. $4k is not a bad limit, and the ageing benefit far outweighs any other algorithm issues you might imagine. Your card count is very low too, and the more lenders you have, the more you will attract.

His card count is low with 8???Smiley Very Happyfico member crack me up.. oooh i forget the other guy with 39.CA has over 64.so he is truly infant on the card count. me too. lol

Message 19 of 58
Shock
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

burnnnnnnnnnnnnnn lol. i only want 5 cards. im pretty low maintenance...is this too low?

Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.