Did you mean: 

How best to deal with Amex?

tag
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

Re: How best to deal with Amex?

@ezdoesit wrote:

@lonelyisland wrote:

Well, j_casteel spoke with an EO once who said that the Zync was keeping him from getting any new credit with AMEX.

You guys' mileage may vary, but I have heard this story before. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Just-confirmed-with-AMEX-EO-on-closing-PSL-Zync-to-qual...

And he should keep his backdate if they close it. 

I have heard this before also.  If you want the Delta Card don't apply on American Express website but on Delta's website.

Why is it best to apply at the Delta website?

Message 11 of 15
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

I completely agree!  My husband started out with the Zync and his wasn't restricted to just the $500 spend either because there was several occasions where he went much over that, BUT he never could even after establishing a great score and history get approved for any other Amex cards he'd applied for. Being frustrated and completely ticked off to be honest I made him call them and see what the heck was goin on.  After a chat with the rep we decided to take her advice and close the Zync.  I set a reminder for 31 days (31 to be on the safe side even tho she said 30).  That day he applied and was approved for his first revolver with Amex and they did backdate to the original Zync date.  Of course YMMV, but it seems with several ppl having the same experience it must be pretty accurate.

On a side note I think if I were you I'd close the account myself rather than SD'ing it until they close it for inactivity.  I would think it has to look better on your CR if you close an account rather than the company closing and leaving the question to other creditor's why they chose to close ur account.

Message 12 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Keep trying for a revolver, my second AMEX card was the Zync, NPSL, I currently have 3x AMEX cards, if its the NPSL version its most likely not holding your back, my Zync card was verified for a 15k general charge via check spend button.   

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 13 of 15
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

Went ahead and closed it today, we had it for 2 years and 4 months and he app'd for a revolving card on 3 different occasions with no luck. Maybe it was the Zync card, maybe it was having me as an AU, but, who knows, it just wasn't going to go anywhere. His TU FICO on his Discover statement today was 747, Experian was in the 730's last time he had an app. Not sure what Amex was holding out for, Delta app was cancelled without being submitted even though I started the app from the Delta site.

We'll see where he's at in 6 months and maybe try again, but at least we won't have another annual fee for a card we don't use sneak up on us.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 14 of 15
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Probably a good idea. Those annual fees are sneaky!

Good luck if he decides to give the AMEX ED a shot - at least with that one - no AF to earn MR points. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.