cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I gain membership into USAA?

Established Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?


MountainHiker wrote:



Thank you guys for all the great advice. When i phoned into USAA last night the credit service rep told me that membership was not possible without being a military personel, spouse of or child of said military person.Maybe he was new to the job or confused about my inquiry.In any case, nice to hear that I should be able to join and app for auto insurance and credit products.USAA has several locations in my area and there would be a built-in convience joining them.Will report back next week on the results.


 

 

If your question is about membership eligibility for financial products, then you are eligible as a limited member.  Anyone is eligible as a limited member.

 

If your question is about membership eligibility for insurance, then you are not eligible.  Insurance is only for full members.  USAA's insurance products are classified as group insurance products.  Only those specific groups are allowed to obtain insurance products.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Message 11 of 19
Established Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?


LS2982 wrote:
All I can say is be prepared to show proof of SSN, DL, utility bills and 3 paystubs if your not a full member. They locked my account for that info and I was not going to give them paystubs for a bank account.

They wanted all that for a simple bank account? That is very intrusive.One of the factors I will seek in making a choice is the factor of convience. Have you, or anyone else experienced similar treatment from USAA?

 

I was considering apping membership with Penfed.They have two branches in my city and I would like to have two credit unions if possible. Their membership seem to be so much easier.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 12 of 19
Mega Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?


MountainHiker wrote:

LS2982 wrote:
All I can say is be prepared to show proof of SSN, DL, utility bills and 3 paystubs if your not a full member. They locked my account for that info and I was not going to give them paystubs for a bank account.

They wanted all that for a simple bank account? That is very intrusive.One of the factors I will seek in making a choice is the factor of convience. Have you, or anyone else experienced similar treatment from USAA?

 

I was considering apping membership with Penfed.They have two branches in my city and I would like to have two credit unions if possible. Their membership seem to be so much easier.


They were absolutely horrendous and RUDE with me about it. I spoke with about 5 different supervisors and every one of them pretty much said deal with it give us the paystubs or we'll hold on to your money.

 

I flipped out on one of them and he finally just released it. I was so appauled that they allow their reps to speak to you like your a child.

 

I asked this one ignorant female rep why you need to see my paystubs and she came back with "You ever heard of the term MONEY LAUNDERING?!?!?" SO YOUR CALLING ME A CRIMINAL???

 

$500 in a bank account and i'm a money launderer???? She got the BIZNESS. Any word that came up in my mind was blurted out.

 

 

 




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 19
Valued Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?

You cannot get thier secured CC as a limited member. I tried.
Scores: about 700 across the board
Total CL: $275k
Message 14 of 19
Established Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?


ccnewcc wrote:

MountainHiker wrote:



Thank you guys for all the great advice. When i phoned into USAA last night the credit service rep told me that membership was not possible without being a military personel, spouse of or child of said military person.Maybe he was new to the job or confused about my inquiry.In any case, nice to hear that I should be able to join and app for auto insurance and credit products.USAA has several locations in my area and there would be a built-in convience joining them.Will report back next week on the results.


 

 

If your question is about membership eligibility for financial products, then you are eligible as a limited member.  Anyone is eligible as a limited member.

 

If your question is about membership eligibility for insurance, then you are not eligible.  Insurance is only for full members.  USAA's insurance products are classified as group insurance products.  Only those specific groups are allowed to obtain insurance products.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


My sister just joined membership and now has auto insurance with USAA. I would like to join also but not sure if their auto insurance is lower than Geico. Might be more savigs for health and life insurance.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 15 of 19
Established Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?


madmann26 wrote:
You cannot get thier secured CC as a limited member. I tried.

It is kinda strange for a company to grant levels of access to their services all predicated on full,equal or partial membership.I still believe that military families that have people serving their country should be granted similar treatment. Military families are the backbone of military personel.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 16 of 19
Mega Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?


MountainHiker wrote:

madmann26 wrote:
You cannot get thier secured CC as a limited member. I tried.

It is kinda strange for a company to grant levels of access to their services all predicated on full,equal or partial membership.I still believe that military families that have people serving their country should be granted similar treatment. Military families are the backbone of military personel.


Yea i'm on the belief that if your not military then you dont get anything, if you are all of the fortunes go to you!! (Like NFCU).

 




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 17 of 19
Established Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?


LS2982 wrote:

MountainHiker wrote:

LS2982 wrote:
All I can say is be prepared to show proof of SSN, DL, utility bills and 3 paystubs if your not a full member. They locked my account for that info and I was not going to give them paystubs for a bank account.

They wanted all that for a simple bank account? That is very intrusive.One of the factors I will seek in making a choice is the factor of convience. Have you, or anyone else experienced similar treatment from USAA?

 

I was considering apping membership with Penfed.They have two branches in my city and I would like to have two credit unions if possible. Their membership seem to be so much easier.


They were absolutely horrendous and RUDE with me about it. I spoke with about 5 different supervisors and every one of them pretty much said deal with it give us the paystubs or we'll hold on to your money.

 

I flipped out on one of them and he finally just released it. I was so appauled that they allow their reps to speak to you like your a child.

 

I asked this one ignorant female rep why you need to see my paystubs and she came back with "You ever heard of the term MONEY LAUNDERING?!?!?" SO YOUR CALLING ME A CRIMINAL???

 

$500 in a bank account and i'm a money launderer???? She got the BIZNESS. Any word that came up in my mind was blurted out.

 

 

 


I'm sorry to hear about your experience.That was uncalled for.They can't keep a thriving customer base if that kind of behavior is repeated.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 18 of 19
Established Contributor

Re: How can I gain membership into USAA?


MountainHiker wrote:

ccnewcc wrote:

MountainHiker wrote:



Thank you guys for all the great advice. When i phoned into USAA last night the credit service rep told me that membership was not possible without being a military personel, spouse of or child of said military person.Maybe he was new to the job or confused about my inquiry.In any case, nice to hear that I should be able to join and app for auto insurance and credit products.USAA has several locations in my area and there would be a built-in convience joining them.Will report back next week on the results.


 

 

If your question is about membership eligibility for financial products, then you are eligible as a limited member.  Anyone is eligible as a limited member.

 

If your question is about membership eligibility for insurance, then you are not eligible.  Insurance is only for full members.  USAA's insurance products are classified as group insurance products.  Only those specific groups are allowed to obtain insurance products. 

 


My sister just joined membership and now has auto insurance with USAA. I would like to join also but not sure if their auto insurance is lower than Geico. Might be more savigs for health and life insurance.


 

For insurance, you will not be able to qualify.  Not for insurance.  Not for insurance.

 

 

USAA insurance operates as a "group membership insurer"  Forced by law (not company policy), in order for a company to be classified as "group membership insurer" insurance products are restricted by law only to those defined groups as outlined by the insurer.

 

 

The horse has been beat to death so many times of this forum about who qualifies for insurance products through USAA.  And (from your stated admissions of this post) you do not qualify.

 

 

You can sure try it.  But USAA will tell you the same thing.  Good luck to you though.

 

 

 

(And btw, USAA does not offer health insurance.)

 

 

 

Message 19 of 19