cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make sure I get a Visa Sig?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: How can I make sure I get a Visa Sig?

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Well sweetie, I don't know, I plan on using my V card for taxes, student loans and possibly rent so for me that's $34,000-$46,000 x 2 which equals $68,000-$92,000 compared to $51,000-$69,000. So as I stated, rewards far exceed the AF. And that's just 2-3 of my monthly bills. And I'm sure there are many out there who get great beneifts from their rewards card.

In your case, it makes perfect sense, since your spending far exceeds the $12,000 break even spend threshold for the QS vs. Venture.

Message 51 of 64
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I think you guys are comparing apples to oranges here.  For the first year, when you take into account the fee waiver and sign up bonus, it's a better value on the first year to the QS, in all scenarios.  

However, if we exclude the sign up bonus and look to the second year where fees are considered, then a certain spend threshold must be met before the Venture becomes a better value than the QS.

Plus the 2x points on the Venture is travel, not cash. If one doesn't travel, the QS is a far better choice.

Yes, this is true. 

*Edited*  Except that in the first year, the Venture with the bonus is still better, regardless.  40K points can easily be redeemed for 80% cashvalue by selling GCs on Cardpool.

Message 52 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

with the right amount of spend it CAN make up for the annual fee but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed. also, that's a BONUS given once. after your first year you need to spend $2,950 JUST to cover the annual fee. you can use a quicksilver for the same amount and be positive $44.25, not just break even as with the venture.
yeah if you have high spend it could make up for it, but even if you spend $10k a year on your venture if you spend $10k on the quicksilver you still are ahead on the quicksilver by $9. and, unless you use the venture for ALL expenditures then the AVERAGE person wouldn't benefit. so again, think before you speak. i proved you wrong twice now.

^^^ copied directly from my second post about it. backbone: granted.
Message 53 of 64
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

I see you're desperately seeking attention.

"the rewards will not more than make up for the annual fee lol. please think about what you type before typing it ladyjesq"

Copied directly from your initial post. You spoke in absolutes and DID NOT mention anything regarding spend levels. I don't hold converstaions with those who backtrack on their own statements, so with this post, I'm out.

You'll have to find your attention elsewhere. Good luck with that! Smiley Happy

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 54 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

There appears to be some tension in this thread.

Message 55 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

naw. people just can't read lol
Message 56 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are asking "how can I get a $5k+ credit line FOR SURE". No one can answer that. But given your info, the history is too short and average limit too low to secure a VS.
Message 57 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You were added as an AU two years before you were born? You must have very prescient parents.

For some banks, AUs added later will acquire the same account open date.

@Anonymous wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

The benefits are nice to have, but not worth an app on their own, is basically my point.

I disagree, if you get a Visa sig with rewards, the rewards will more than pay for the AF. So why not go for the perks?

It isn't necessary to get a card with an annual fee to get a Visa Sig with rewards. For example, the Freedom comes as a VS if the CL is $5K or higher.

Not true. Chase has other creteria for VS in addition to starting limit. My freedom started as a $5.5k visa plat, not VS.

@Anonymous wrote:
the rewards will not more than make up for the annual fee lol. please think about what you type before typing it ladyjesq

Whether the AF is justified depends on the card's reward structure and how (much) you use that card. You guys are arguing over an over-simplified issue and making unneceessary generalisations.

Message 58 of 64
kdm31091
Super Contributor

People upthread are arguing about something that I didn't even suggest. My point was not "Venture's rewards justify the AF"; my point was "Visa Signature benefits in and of themselves are not worth paying an AF"

Meaning, applying for a product just to get a Visa Sig, and you don't otherwise want/need the card, is not worth $59 a year or whatever. It's just not. Again. price protection, warranties, all that good stuff...yes, it's nice. You will also be able to count on one hand the number of times you use it in a decade for most people. Certainly nothing to prioritize. Wait until a card you actually otherwise want comes along, and apply for it. Most (not all, but MOST!) Visa credit cards come in Signature versions for high enough limits (and other criteria).

Message 59 of 64
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

People upthread are arguing about something that I didn't even suggest. My point was not "Venture's rewards justify the AF"; my point was "Visa Signature benefits in and of themselves are not worth paying an AF"

Meaning, applying for a product just to get a Visa Sig, and you don't otherwise want/need the card, is not worth $59 a year or whatever. It's just not. Again. price protection, warranties, all that good stuff...yes, it's nice. You will also be able to count on one hand the number of times you use it in a decade for most people. Certainly nothing to prioritize. Wait until a card you actually otherwise want comes along, and apply for it. Most (not all, but MOST!) Visa credit cards come in Signature versions for high enough limits (and other criteria).

In regards to LadyJ's point, the Venture isn't just a Signature standalone card, but is accompanied by free first year, 2X spending, and $400 in travel value.   I'd say this is a pretty good deal.

Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.