cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I pay my rent with a card and get points?

tag
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

How can I pay my rent with a card and get points?

The only two bills I have to right checks for are my rent and my power bill and it bugs me cause I'm missing out on getting points off my biggest monthly expense. My landlord is a individual not a property management co. 

At first I though I could just use my Chase Freedom and buy a money order at the grocery store and BANG! 5% back on rent. But then I read they don't do points on "cash like transactions" like travelers checks or money orders. So that's no good.

I have seen a lot of rent pay services on line that I guess essentially mail a check or direct deposit rent into your landlords account and allow you to pay however you like. Does anybody know if the CC co's have blocked points from these services?

Any other clever ways I could try to get points back on this large monthly transaction?

I'm examining the benefits of getting the Starwood AMEX and if I could put rent on it (and immediately pay it off of course) then I could get 1000 starwood points a month. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Re: How can I pay my rent with a card and get points?

I don't think you can buy money order with credit  cards !!

Does anybody know for sure ? It's like free cash advance.

Message 2 of 32
learnin113
Established Contributor

This I wanna know!

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeadSpider wrote:

I don't think you can buy money order with credit  cards !!

Does anybody know for sure ? It's like free cash advance.

I had to pick up a money order one for some application. Went to 7-11 to get it and cash only + a fee. I could not believe the fee part - I walked in with 10 bucks and had to go out back to my car and find some change to pay the fee. First time I ever had to get one and hopefully the last!

Message 4 of 32
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

About 99.9% sure that Money Orders and Cashier's Checks have to be paid for in cash only or at least some form of guaranteed funds.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 32
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

williampaid.com lets you pay the rent with your cc for a nominal fee (2.95%). It is the most popular service among FlyerTalkers and comes highly recommended. We have been using it for last few months and pretty happy with. Regret about not knowing this earlier actually.

Make sure to set up the auto payment at least 7 days before the rent is due as the processing etc takes a bit of time.

Message 6 of 32
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

Yea I just did a little reading and what I read is only debit cards are accepted. If they accepted Visa gift cards you could buy the gift card and then use that for the money order? I've heard of people using some types of gift cards to buy money orders before.

Message 7 of 32
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

William paid charges like 3% right? Any services that don't charge? I'm gonna head over to flyer talk Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Message 8 of 32
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Ive used paypal to pay people for parts for my car using my credit card thru paypal. They ask me to add the 3% fee or send them the money using the gift option so theres no 3% fee. It shows on my cc as a regular transaction.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 9 of 32
Crashem
Valued Contributor

There is no fee free way to pay with CC if your landlord does not accept CCs fee free.  Otherwise we would all be doing it.  Let us know if you find a way, but I can't see it.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.