cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can gain cash back when merchant doesn't take credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How can gain cash back when merchant doesn't take credit cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Often people in a niche market can set whatever terms they want.  They only have so much time or product, and if someone doesn't like their terms, another customer will come along who does.  That's just how it goes in a seller's market.

While you are indeed correct, it is not exactly a smart buyer's market out there.

You still have people willint to pay for repair work in CASH, and don't even request a reciept.

With cash, the contractor can claim they didn't get paid. There's also no disputing the cost of services when work wasn't done correctly.

Sure you can try to take the contractor to court if they didn't do the work correctly, but then again "they didn't get paid anyways." Right?

Agreed.  I'd want a signed receipt at least.

Message 21 of 28
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Peanutbutter wrote:

is there a way that I'm missing to still gain the CB for the transaction... like a balance transfer etc?

Always read your terms for questions like this.  BT's do not earn points with most programs.  There are many other typical exclusions as well such as cash advances, fees, etc.  The stuff that comes with your card isn't just packing material.  There's important info in there.  Make sure you read and understand it.

@Anonymous wrote:
^ What he said. I don't understand how there are still businesses that don't accept plastic. With options like Square and readers for your iPhone, it's so easy nowadays.

It's not just about ease.  Some don't want to deal with it for various reasons -- some already mentioned above.  There are a lot of good contractors that don't take cards.  If that doesn't work for you then find one that does.

There interesting thing is that we've recently had some business pop up in our area that only take cards and don't deal with cash.

Message 22 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Peanutbutter wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Ok, I know the title sounds stupid but hear me out....

We have to do some construction work on our home. The contractor does not currently accept CC's but I would like to use my Citi Double Cash card since it the project will cost about 12k, I'd like to gain the 2%CB if I run it through the card.  So, my question is, since the contractor doesn't accept CC's, is there a way that I'm missing to still gain the CB for the transaction... like a balance transfer etc? Ideally, I'd like to not accrue interest in all this either, we have the cash to pay it off also.

I just feel like I'm overlooking an option somehow.

Thank you!!

OP, looks like you have some good replies.

In the pursuit of CC rewards, using the cards for common items off the shelf at a store is fine, but for customized items such as this, it is more important to ensure you are getting the best price and good quality. If the contractor does not take cards, but the price is competitive and it saves you spending another $12 grand in a few years, that is where you will be money ahead.  

Sometimes it makes sense to pay cash, not worry about the rewards.

Good luck with the project.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Find another contractor who's up to par with the 21st century.

I'd tell him to get lost because he doesn't take credit cards. Many contractors will happily take plastic for your business. The guy probably doesn't want to pay taxes on top of the fees.

I would find another contractor.  You have some protection if you pay the contractor directly with a credit card.  That's a lot of money to pay someone in cash.

+1000

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
^ What he said. I don't understand how there are still businesses that don't accept plastic. With options like Square and readers for your iPhone, it's so easy nowadays.

Exactly.... 

Message 25 of 28
cabinmama

Just to add (apologies if this was covered downthread) the protection with contractors and CCs is no joke. We got ripped off for $15K deposit on some major remodeling. We paid the 3.5% fee so he would take our CC. When he disappeared with our deposit, Citicard worked with us on a chargeback and after several months of appeals, got us our money back (they credited back to our account in the meantime). If a contractor won't take a CC (again, we're willing to pay the fee) they don't get our business, especially if it's for a deposit. Citicard dispute department was great to work with, very clear on documentation we needed, etc. 

Message 26 of 28
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My flooring contractor didn't like to take CC's either.  Many of these guys are small business owners and the fees on a $10k or $25k swipe is a good ding to their profits for the job.  It makes sense.

He eventually went ahead and took the CC for a 1% fee, I used a 2% card so netting 1% net was better than nothing.  I also told him I needed to use a CC AFTER he had already bid on the job - again not really fair to a small business owner looking to make a certain margin after the bid process.  My contractor had a legit business, was insured, certified, did a better job than the big huge companies.  Around here many smaller independent contractors don't take CC's.

Well he should take credit cards. He has to stay abreast of the payment world plus you can dispute fraud and shoddy work. Once you plop down thousands in cash, its over and good luck suing and oh yeah, collecting the money if you win. I am looking at Plastiq for a few things I used to pay only cash for to contractors; like my heating a cooling guy.

Message 27 of 28
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I'm in the construction business and I didn't take CC's for the longest time , I ended up getting Square and it's been okay. Although my largest payout was a full redo of a backyard and patio, with material it was around 48,000-49,000 and it was paid by cashiers check (30% up front for materials).

Oh and make sure he's licensed!! I see people all the time call themselves contractors but don't have licenses.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.