cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can they report AU if they don't ask SS#?

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: How can they report AU if they don't ask SS#?

@plasticman wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
The real question is will the CRB's just allow you to add an address record to your file at will. That would solve the whole problem. If my parents added me as an AU to one of their cards (something I might want them to do actually) I don't know how they would match it up, I have never lived at their current address.

Question:

Since one can only dispute inaccurate info on their CBR as reported by a lender, would not this be a problem? Or is my premise inaccurate to begin with?

I didn't say dispute. I said add as in augment. There of course is a way to do it - just change the address on one of you CC's to the target address and wait until it reports. That would do it. Why not just let you add it directly? It would make life so much easier.

Message 21 of 43
Established Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

The real question is will the CRB's just allow you to add an address record to your file at will. That would solve the whole problem. If my parents added me as an AU to one of their cards (something I might want them to do actually) I don't know how they would match it up, I have never lived at their current address.

Question:

Since one can only dispute inaccurate info on their CBR as reported by a lender, would not this be a problem? Or is my premise inaccurate to begin with?

I didn't say dispute. I said add as in augment. There of course is a way to do it - just change the address on one of you CC's to the target address and wait until it reports. That would do it. Why not just let you add it directly? It would make life so much easier.

Agreed on both counts.  

Clearly, I have no idea. If you do find out the answer I would be interested to know that answer as well. Good question...IMO

Message 22 of 43
Established Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

Exacty how this can be done wothout a S.S.N is a great question! I believe an AU can be reported without one however.

I expect a member here may be able answer your specfic question ( and mine ).

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&message.id=134301#M134301

Message 23 of 43
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I was never skip traced to my parents address. I wonder if I had any credit when I lived there... I certainly had bank acccounts. First CC's might have been right after I moved out. This is all pre-1980 - disco days, ya know!

Message 24 of 43
Established Contributor

@CreditAble wrote:

@plasticman wrote:

Exacty how this can be done wothout a S.S.N is a great question! I believe an AU can be reported without one however.

I expect a member here may be able answer your specfic question ( and mine ).

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&message.id=134301#M134301

Thanks CreditAble!

That expains it to me so that I now completely understand. It also explains why over the past several months I have received at least a half dozen phone calls from debt collectors pertaining to unpaid debts regarding various family members as well.Smiley Mad

Message 25 of 43
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

I was added as an AU to Bank of America - they did not ask for my SS or my address. BUT I have the same address on my CR as the card holder. I also have joint accounts (mortgages in the past)) on my CR with this person as wel.

Just my two cents - EQ never picked this account up - TU and EX picked up around the same time, but not EQ.

Check this out - I pulled my TU score on Saturday afternoon and it dropped 16 points for NO OBVIOUS reason(s). same accounts, no more inquiries, same balance, no late payment....same same same. As a matter of fact, i lost one inquiry and became one month older. it could be that I got rebucketed...I have a hunch that TU FIco switched platforms and now are using a different version of fico - because I gained 16 points when the account got added on TU and i just lost 16 points out of nowhere? there was one small change on my CR which was my address was finally updated, but other than that, identifical!! i went through it with a fine tooth comb. utilization is still the same. in the new version of Fico 08 (i think it's stil in test mode) they will  not factoring in AU's for credit worthiness. no more mooching...

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I added my wife as an AU to my BOFA Visa Platinum. Spelled her name and that was it. She never had a SSN, so it seems there's no way she can check her credit history herself and/or apply for a card, but she's now receiving preapproval letters from Cap One, Discover etc. So, evidently, BOFA AU was reported based on her name and my billing address only.

It was about 1.5 years ago. Inteeresting though, I recently checked "Add an AU" form on BOFA online banking and now there's a field to enters AU's SSN.

Message 27 of 43
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I added my wife as an AU to my BOFA Visa Platinum. Spelled her name and that was it. She never had a SSN, so it seems there's no way she can check her credit history herself and/or apply for a card, but she's now receiving preapproval letters from Cap One, Discover etc. So, evidently, BOFA AU was reported based on her name and my billing address only.

It was about 1.5 years ago. Inteeresting though, I recently checked "Add an AU" form on BOFA online banking and now there's a field to enters AU's SSN.

We added our daughter to our Sears Citi card over the phone. This morning I checked out their website...and, sure enough...there was a place online to add her, and we could optionally add her SS#. We're going to call them this AM because the only reason for adding her was to give her some account age. She already has good credit, but we want this card to report.

I don't know why I didn't think to just go online instead of calling...

Message 28 of 43
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@daisyduke wrote:

I was added as an AU to Bank of America - they did not ask for my SS or my address. BUT I have the same address on my CR as the card holder. I also have joint accounts (mortgages in the past)) on my CR with this person as wel.

Just my two cents - EQ never picked this account up - TU and EX picked up around the same time, but not EQ.

Check this out - I pulled my TU score on Saturday afternoon and it dropped 16 points for NO OBVIOUS reason(s). same accounts, no more inquiries, same balance, no late payment....same same same. As a matter of fact, i lost one inquiry and became one month older. it could be that I got rebucketed...I have a hunch that TU FIco switched platforms and now are using a different version of fico - because I gained 16 points when the account got added on TU and i just lost 16 points out of nowhere? there was one small change on my CR which was my address was finally updated, but other than that, identifical!! i went through it with a fine tooth comb. utilization is still the same. in the new version of Fico 08 (i think it's stil in test mode) they will  not factoring in AU's for credit worthiness. no more mooching...

I'm not so sure about this...

I think they may have reversed that decision.

Message 29 of 43
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I added my daughter as AU on my Ameriprise card and they didn't ask for any information except her name. She is married so she doesn't even have the same last name anymore but it still showed up on her reports. She also lives in a city 150 miles away. It is amazing the things they know about us that we aren't even aware of. I've been asked I'd verification questions where I had to pick out the names of people who lived in my household within the last 10 years and my married daughters have been the choices with their married names. Last night I was asked what year my house was built. I didn' t even know the correct answer but they did. Neither of my daughters had credit cards when they lived at home but there are so many information gathering agencies out there that they know pretty much everything about us.
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.