cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can they report AU if they don't ask SS#?

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: How can they report AU if they don't ask SS#?

1) AU's, excluding bogus AU's, still count in FICO08. FICO claims to have some secret technology that allows them to tell the difference between legit AU's and bogus AU's. Until I see proof positive to the contrary AFA I am concerned all AU's will still be scored in FICO08.

2) You cannot obtain you FICO08 score anywhere and nobody is using it for other than study purposes at this time.

Message 31 of 43
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@hemi961 wrote:
I added my daughter as AU on my Ameriprise card and they didn't ask for any information except her name. She is married so she doesn't even have the same last name anymore but it still showed up on her reports. She also lives in a city 150 miles away. It is amazing the things they know about us that we aren't even aware of. I've been asked I'd verification questions where I had to pick out the names of people who lived in my household within the last 10 years and my married daughters have been the choices with their married names. Last night I was asked what year my house was built. I didn' t even know the correct answer but they did. Neither of my daughters had credit cards when they lived at home but there are so many information gathering agencies out there that they know pretty much everything about us.

Aren't you glad the FCRA doesn't allow them to report any of this information?

Message 32 of 43
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Thanks CWCID - I wonder if my AU will be considered "bogus" since it is my "husbands" name....

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 43
hemi961
Regular Contributor

Yours won't be considered bogus since it is your husband. The ones they are trying to eliminate are AUs who are unrelated. In the past people with lower credit scores would sometimes pay money to be added to the account of someone else. There were even companies that handled these transactions. The AU never even knew who the account holder was and wasn't given a card of course. It was simply a ploy to increase credit score by piggy backing on someone with good credit. Your AU status will be recognized as legitimate.
Message 34 of 43
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@hemi961 wrote:
Yours won't be considered bogus since it is your husband. The ones they are trying to eliminate are AUs who are unrelated. In the past people with lower credit scores would sometimes pay money to be added to the account of someone else. There were even companies that handled these transactions. The AU never even knew who the account holder was and wasn't given a card of course. It was simply a ploy to increase credit score by piggy backing on someone with good credit. Your AU status will be recognized as legitimate.

Maybe, maybe not! It's an ex-husband and they are not co-resident if I remember correctly.
Message 35 of 43
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Wow, didn't even know that type of transaction was available....mooch to pay...thanks didn't mean to side track the OP

Message 36 of 43
hemi961
Regular Contributor

You indicated that your credit reports show the same address and that you have joint accounts so I'd say there is a better than average chance that it will be recognized!
Message 37 of 43
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

CWCID,

I dont' the bureaus know if i am married or divorced. we have the same mailing address....i never took him off my credit report as husband...

definately a unique relationship. lol

Message 38 of 43
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

plasticman wrote:

@daisyduke wrote:
yeah, i know Plastic man...but when I got added to BOFA card, the ss was NOT asked...and boom it popped up through address matching. Hauling shared that information.....i had no idea reporting could be done just by address matching...but it did work...

Hauling is an expert...she would definately know!Smiley Happy

Hauling went AU on her hubby's ancient Discover card 2 years ago, and that's when she found that even though they didn't ask for her social, they knew who she was. Smiley Wink

I don't know how they do all this, especially for parents/ children with different addresses. Do they put all addy's, both current and previous, in their databases? If so, a previous address on a parent's report might match a previous address on a chid's report, and that would do the trick. Also, for anyone who has been challenged with LexisNexis ID questions (I think GEMB does this), asking their address when they were in third grade and if they recognize the name of their ex-wife's ex-husband's third cousin twice removed that has an address in Kansas somewhere, you will know that lenders have all sorts of resources that we don't normally think about. Smiley Surprised

When it comes to getting credited for AU accounts, the closer the relationship, the better. So husbands and wives, even potentially ex'es, who have at one point shared an address, are easy to verify. Parents and kids, especially kids who are young adults and not far from the nest, aren't that hard. Ditto for siblings. Once you get to being an AU on your kid's substitute school bus driver for the after-school athletics route, you might be in for a tough ride.

eta: Oh, yes, and to reiterate some of the previous posts, FICO 08 was originally going to ignore AU accounts, due to the widespread abuse of piggybacking onto strangers' history for a big fat fee. Apparently after some 'splaining about the implications of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, they modified this. Smiley Wink They still credit AU accounts, although there is supposedly some mechanism to verify the legitimacy of the relationship. Unfortunately, there are still a million (at least) websites reporting the original version which never updated and corrected, so there is still mass confusion on this issue. And there are periodic indications that the CRA's don't necessarily report all Au accounts, even when the lender reports them, so anyone interested in going AU needs to do a lot of research to find out if the AU account will actually percolate through all this and help in the end.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-14-2009 04:50 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 39 of 43
mt2va
Established Contributor

This topic has interested me for awhile as I am an AU on my parents Exxon CC for over 10 years now.  It does not show up on my CR.  I specifically asked my mom to call & see if they report AU & they swear up & down that they do.  She even asked if they needed my SS# and they told her no.  But still it is not reported on my CR.  So how do I get it accomplished??
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.