Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How certain is it that creditors will close my credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How certain is it that creditors will close my credit cards

I could say that I have more than just a good credit score and have quite a few cards with good credit limits. I have some cards which I have not used them for over 2 to 3 years now. So I am wondering how certain is that the creditors that do no see any activity on their credit cards will close these. My main purpose is to live within limits and for this, I want to keep a check on my expenses through my debit card or cash [I know the benefits of using CC instead of DC; and I know I can keep the CC's active by atleast using them 1 time in few months]. My main goal is to be within my limits & maintain my credit score, I would like to set my limit to what I have in my bank. So going back to my questions - how certain is it that the creditors will close the inactive credit cards? And will the creditors check the credit score to decide to close an inactive credit card?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: How certain is it that creditors will close my credit cards

Every lender has different policies regarding closure for inactivity. Best bet would be to ask them but I don't think they check your score
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well to be simple. Its 100% that at some point they will close the cards that you are not using. if you are talking about maintaining your score. Then That theory would be out of the window. unless you are only going to use 1 credit card and pay it off most of the time. When they are closed if you are carrying balances it will hurt your utilization. and keeping in mind credit cards basically account for 30% of your score. either use 1-2 like you are planning and keep balances very low. and you would be just fine. or you could make that once a year purchase and pay it off like you said. That same day would be fine. living within ones means is fine. but you want to maintain high credit as well. its ok to use. Example. i have several credit cards that are auto pay and recurring charges. one gets 898 a month. another 7.99 a month. and several little ones. i don't ever have to even look at them. as they are set to auto pay anyway. So after the charge. it is paid. no problem.

Message 3 of 8
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Depending on the lender, cards can be closed from 6 months of inactivity (if you don't use it for a year or more, I wouldn't be surprised if it got closed). If you really want to keep them open, just make a token charge (could be like a pack of gum or a bottle of soda), and pay it off as soon as it posts to give it some activity. Closing cards due to activity probably has nothing to do with your credit score but all lenders may be different. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading this thread it got me thinking.. do cards with annual fees close automatically due to inactivity as well?

Message 5 of 8
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

You state that you want to live within your means and maintain your credit score.

So my advice is to let technology work for you.  Download your banks app.  Shop with your credit cards, using the ones at the locations which provide the best benefits.  Immediately get online with your bank app and pay the bill or schedule it for later payment after the credit card due date.  You will still be living within the means and you will be getting both better protection and rewards for doing so.  In fact, since you will be getting rewards from the cards, you will be living better within your means for doing so!  The cards will stay active, you will live within your means, your score will build, and you will get rewards for just a little effort.  It is a win, win, win for you.

Stop paying in cash!  Pay the bill immediately.  Get the rewards.  Laugh yourself all the way to the bank!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As others have said, it really varies.  Some cards I haven't used for 2 or so years without an issue in the past.  Just checked one of my Cap One cards, last payment was June 2014.

I forgot about an Amex for three years, only when I applied for another card did they point out that they could PC the unused one, and I had a similar experience with Chase Slate.

But some issuers are certainly quicker to close.

Message 7 of 8
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

They also might do a CLD first--Synchrony slashed the available credit on my Amazon Store card by a little over a half after some 15 months of non usage (and then I closed it because... well, I didn't see myself really using it again).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.