cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come so many have multiple Amex cards ?

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: How come so many have multiple Amex cards ?

@Gollum wrote:

FICO gives us aggregate, general information regarding FICO scores, but the specifics are a trade secret.  Surely FICO knows about American Express backdating.  I think FICO scoring algorithms probably take it into account.

It seems to me that American Express backdating does not necessarily increase FICO scores.

I most definitely and humbly disagree. Smiley Happy  A year ago- pre fico forums, I had 627 EQ FICO. (lender pull)  After having a couple of baddies removed, my score increased to my starting score in my siggy.  I added 3 Amex with backdating to 89 and viola, AAoA increases dramatically and I'm well on my way to the 800's in less then a year.(My current FICO scores in siggy.)   (Thank you very much myFICO friends!)  So there is something to be said about Amex and their backdating.  I'm a firm believer.  Smiley Tongue 

Edited:  to highlight statement

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 11 of 20
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

#1, Backdating -- which also means that your CR doesn't take the AAoA hit from adding a new acct.

#2, Their different cards have different types of rewards. Some %, some points, different types of travel, etc. Some are better for gas, some for restaurants, etc.

I am anxiously waiting for my 2 new Amexes to post backdated to 87. I'm hoping my FICO score will take a big leap, especially since my EQ is so low, and it's the only one w/o an older acct. reporting.

There are definite perks to multiple Amex cards. I have read posts here where some people have added an Amex just to boost their AAoA.

Also, Zync appears to be a good starter card, and has lower criteria than other Amexes. It's not a rebuilder or sub-prime; just a little easier to qualify for than other Amexes.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 12 of 20
littlesister
Contributor

Rewards and customer service is outstanding. The backdating is a great benefit also. My new card is technically older then

my first card now!

When you hand someone an amex card they look at you differently,. as if you're a VIP.  Like you're saying," I have arrived".

I worked very hard for this card and am proud to show it off.

Message 13 of 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

The backdating and social appeal can be hard to resist, LOL! I had a really difficult time turning down a recent PRG offer, despite having no need for it. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 20
dharalex
Established Contributor

I have 3.
PRG- 1st, pre app offer, use for travel, tickets, large purchases
Blue- 2nd, pre approved, got at the same time as PRG. They gave me an awesome original CL which is now at $20K
BCP-3rd, this is what I really wanted. Now that there is no spending min, I grabbed it for the obvious cash rewards< br>
I love Amex for the excellent benefits, the great CL and CLI, the backdating, and prestige. Each card maximizes my savings. I plan up PC Blue for BSP in Sept.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 15 of 20
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for helping me with the information you provided me with. Now I know. Smiley Happy

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 16 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

FICO gives us aggregate, general information regarding FICO scores, but the specifics are a trade secret.  Surely FICO knows about American Express backdating.  I think FICO scoring algorithms probably take it into account.

It seems to me that American Express backdating does not necessarily increase FICO scores.

I most definitely and humbly disagree. Smiley Happy  A year ago- pre fico forums, I had 627 EQ FICO. (lender pull)  After having a couple of baddies removed, my score increased to my starting score in my siggy.  I added 3 Amex with backdating to 89 and viola, AAoA increases dramatically and I'm well on my way to the 800's in less then a year.(My current FICO scores in siggy.)   (Thank you very much myFICO friends!)  So there is something to be said about Amex and their backdating.  I'm a firm believer.  Smiley Tongue 

Edited:  to highlight statement

+1. When I got my Amex last year, it was backdated to 1987. I definitely got a boost to my AAoA and, other than the inq, no new credit ding. It did not affect my FICO score as new credit.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 17 of 20
arlibguy
Valued Member

@littlesister wrote:

Rewards and customer service is outstanding. The backdating is a great benefit also. My new card is technically older then

my first card now!

When you hand someone an amex card they look at you differently,. as if you're a VIP.  Like you're saying," I have arrived".

I don't totally agree with this. Most cashiers don't even pay attention to the type of card, just that it swipes. Perhaps it's different at hotels and with airlines. It might also depend on the card you have. Given that alot of credit card companies issue platinum and gold cards, I really wonder if the person taking the card blinks an eye -- unless they know about credit cards or are instructed to give special customer service to AMEX members (thinking Platinum and Centurion).

In full disclosure, I did have an American Express Optima card, which I included in my BK ten years ago. When I used the card, no one looked at me differently as when I used any other of my credit cards. I'm not certain I'll ever be able to get in with AMEX again. I burned them for a little over $5K. It happened and I made my bed. Yes, I've heard about the special Optima program for defaulted customers. Truth is though, if they asked me to pay $5K to get back in their good graces -- assuming I had $5K -- I don't think it would be worth it. Partially I'd feel like I'm giving AMEX "special treatment" by paying them back and not the other creditors that I included in my BK. Number two, in the end, it's just a credit or charge card. There are plenty others out there, and I'll survive if I don't have an AMEX again.

Starting Score: 10-2011 TU-08 FICO 725 (Walmart) / EQ FICO 683 (MyFICO)
Current Score: 10-2015 TU 780 / EQ 802 / EX 784 [Mortgage app]
Message 18 of 20
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Many people have several revolving accounts and several charge accounts with AMEX.  They have been a customer for a long time, and AMEX backdates... So if they have been a customer of AMEX for 10 yrs... they could have 4 accounts with 10 yrs of age each, which equals 40 yrs of good credit history, even though they may have only recently opened up the account.

In my case, I went from 2 Amex cards to 6 in order to help DW's credit. I wouldn't have gotten the other 4 cards without backdating.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@littlesister wrote:

Where do people experience this?  Everyone looks at mine confused because there's no signature.  Is acting confused the VIP treatment?

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.