cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How credit limit is determined after approval?

tag
epicureanism
Contributor

How credit limit is determined after approval?

My friend and I applied for BCP several days ago. I have longer credit history and larger total credit limits than him. Besides I have income while he does not. It turns out we both get approved but his limit was 5k and my limit was 2k. So I am wondering how credit limit is determined? Anyone on this board has any idea or interesting cases to share? Thanks! 

Current Cards: BOA Better Rewards (2.5k), Citi Forward (2k), AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6k), AMEX SPG (7.5k), DISCOVER (1k), Chase Freedom (7k).

Credit Karma: 752, Credit Sesame: 736.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jboy1972
New Contributor

Re: How credit limit is determined after approval?

You can get approved with no income?
NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

FICO EQ- 747 (7/07/13) FICO EX -752 (8/07/13) FICO TU -751 (8/07/13)
Message 2 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

How is your friend approved with no income? So basically he committed fraud by lying on the app?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 14
epicureanism
Contributor

I have income, although not too much.

We are both students. Is this the reason he gets approved? I do not think he lied =). 

Current Cards: BOA Better Rewards (2.5k), Citi Forward (2k), AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6k), AMEX SPG (7.5k), DISCOVER (1k), Chase Freedom (7k).

Message 4 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

I honestly don't see how it's possible to be approved for any credit card, much less by American Express, without having any income. Possible prior to the recession, but certainly not the case nowadays
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 14
HiLine
Blogger

Your friend's case is already the most interesting there is. Smiley Tongue

Could it be he has a lot of assets and/or is an authorized user on his parents' cards? 

Message 6 of 14
eviLution
Established Contributor

The answer is he lied about having income and probably a pretty big one too.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 7 of 14
epicureanism
Contributor

I think that's perhaps he gets lots of assets. I know he is very rich =). 

But this is not important... Does anybody have any idea on how cl is calculated upon approval? This is what puzzles me. Thanks! 

Message 8 of 14
eviLution
Established Contributor

Your credit score, income, and length of history.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 9 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Your friend had to state some type of financials on the app question is was it true or not?

Example large bank account, investments somethingSmiley Surprised

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.