Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you do on CC rewards in 2017?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you do on CC rewards in 2017?

Others may be concerned about managing their cards, optimizing credit limits, making their collection more prestigious, polishing their FICO score, etc. I don't care much about that; those things are useful only as a means to an end, and that end is rewards!

I've pretty much completed my spreadsheet for 2017, and the totals look like this:

Value of rewards earned: $6,891.66
Value of rewards redeemed: $6,573.46
Actual cash received: $4,414.37

For the seventh year in a row, I beat my record for actual cash received. Rewards earned and rewards redeemed were not records, but were respectable.

The distinction between earned and redeemed is because rewards persist across years. Not all of the rewards I earn in a year are redeemed that year, and rewards I redeem this year may have been earned a previous year. In many cases, I don't when or even how I will redeem rewards earned.

The "rewards earned" value reflects a nominal redemption value for rewards accumulated over the year. Cash is, obviously cash. Point systems that can be redeemed for cash I generally value at the cash redemption rate, even when it's quite possible I will redeem them at a better rate for travel, gift cards, etc. Airline miles I value at $.01 per point. Other rewards get more squishy; I try to value them based on the amount of cash I would otherwise pay for what I redeem points for. For example, we stay at LaQuinta hotels quite often. When we do redeem points, it's usually about a $.01 redemption rate; we're choosing between using 60,000 points or spending $60, so on calculating earnings, I value those points at $.01 per point. OTOH, we rarely stay at Hilton, and when we do, there are other choices we could make. We could stay at the Hilton near O'Hare for about 27,000 points. But we could alternatively Hotwire or Priceline a nearby hotel for around $90. So I only value Hilton points at $.003 per point. I try to be conservative so that I don't create the impression that my rewards are greater than what they actually are. As an overall rewards percentage, I averaged about 9.06% rewards on my spending for the year, which isn't shabby. My best percentage was back in 2011 when I nailed it at almost 14% rewards, while my highest dollar level earned was in 2016 at $7,570.

This was my second best year on redemptions, my best being $7,174 in 2015. The "rewards redeemed" value reflects actual redemptions during the year. This can be similarly squishy. If I redeem miles for a flight, is the redemption value what I would have paid for the ticket in cash? What if we could have gotten a comparable flight on another airline for less cash, but we decided to use our miles instead? If we have a buttload of miles, maybe burn a few more to go business class. But would we have upgraded if it actually took more cash to do so? I try to make my best estimation of what using these points actually *saved* us on our bottom line, and that can be tricky.

On the other hand, "cash received" is simple. It's the amount of actual funds received from rewards, whether that be ACH deposits, statement credits, checks or Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover gift cards. Those are the rewards that definitively affect the bottom line.

This year's total of $4,414 tops last year's record of $4,127 and is an all time-record for the ten years I've been collecting stats. This time each year I look at the stats and think "well, last year was outstanding, but there's no way I'll top that this year." Then throughout the year things happen that surprise me. in 2017 DW got the CSR, which added $400 in statement credits to the tally, which wasn't completely a surprise. But then the USBank Travel Rewards card came out of nowhere and I earned $425 of statement credits on that. The biggest haul was on my Alliant Visa card, which I was unexpectedly able to convert to a 3% card in the beginning of April. That card alone added $775 to my cash haul. Another sleeper was my AmEx SimplyCash Business card. While the actual purchase cashback only added $155, I was able to take advantage of AmEx offers to the tune of $361.08. Throw in redemption of some old Discover it Miles (earned at 3x), expected cashback on quarterly rotating and other cards and my typical $500+ on BofA BBR cards, and it all added up.

Looking forward to 2018, it's hard to tell. I already have over $400 awarded, and another $800 cash pretty much guaranteed with typical spending. I have a buttload of points and cash in various programs which, if redeemed flat out for cash would add another $3,500, which added together would top this year's cash total. While some of those redemptions are likely due to cancelling/converting cards (e.g. USBank), many (e.g. URP and Discover CB) are likely to continue to be hoarded pending redemption options more favorable than cash. OTOH, it's hard to predict what bright shiny card with a big cash bonus might stride on the scene and tempt me. We'll see how it all panned out in about 12 months. Smiley Happy

Chris.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: How did you do on CC rewards in 2017?

I should have tracked, but I didn't, as 2017 was the first year I had truely significant rewards, mostly due to signup bonuses.  This was my apparent breakaway year in the credit game.

I have an estimated $1,800 in rewards collected.

$400 redeemed as gift cards

$1,400 redeemed as cash ($600 thanks to Discover's double cash back redemption).

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Kinda hard to put a cash value on points when airfares fluctuate so much but I got enough in rewards to fly me and my wife to Israel, Turkey, and Greece, and stay in 3-4 star hotels with several hundred in cash left over. Estimated cash value is somewhere around $5K. We’re going in October.

This year’s rewards will go toward our next trip. Haven’t decided where we’re going yet but it’ll likely be mostly on Delta and Hilton points.
Message 3 of 12
galahad15
Valued Contributor

IME, I earned somewhere between $2,000 - $2,200 earned in cashback + bonuses over the past year.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you're all redeeming that majority of your CC purchases at 5+%. Crazy. I only use my Cash + and probably have like $500 this year.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, the vast majority of my purchases returned 3%. What amped up the overall percentage was startup bonuses, extra offers on top of cashback (e.g. Amex offers), or bonuses not dependent on purchase amount (e.e BofA BBR).

Chris
Message 6 of 12
iced
Valued Contributor

As fun as it would be to calculate this value, I think it's simply not feasible for me to do. For someone who does cashback only or only earns/redeems CC rewards, it's more doable, but like many, my CC rewards are part of a bigger picture where things are combined from multiple sources.

I pretty much only collect airline miles and hotel points. These are earned by CC spend, flying, staying in hotels, eating out, renting a car, or even the occasional retail purchase. When I go to redeem, am I arbitrarily deciding what percentage of those points came from my pool of CC miles versus flown miles or dining miles, or do I look at the statistical breakdown of how my miles/points were earned by source and divide reward value that way?

If I double-dipped (MP Dining + CSR for instance), do I count the extra miles as part of CC spend as it did require me to use that card or no since those points are awared by a third party rather than the CC issuer?

It's equally incorrect to just arbitrarily slap a cash value on something that isn't cashback. Perhaps rather than a dollar value, I just state how many miles/points were generated as a result of just CC spend?

The last field (actual cash received) is an easy one to do. For me, that was $0 (unless you count CSR travel credits, in which case it was $300).

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actual cash redeemed to accounts (including disco match up until Jan 1st) ~$1200

Including bank account signup bonuses & statement credit CC signup bonus ~$2200.

Including my personal valuation of points earned & redeemed for airfare and your closer to $3600-4000 depending on current airfare. Everyone values points & buys tickets differently but for how I redeem them I got about about $1500 of free airline tickets.

For all this only since only getting into rewards game August 2017, I'm pretty pleased with our results vs the last decade or so of mostly using debit and carrying balances on cards not earning rewards
Message 8 of 12
yfan
Valued Contributor

While an interesting thread, the amount accumulated or redeemed in rewards in a given year is a meaningless sum without the following:

• How much was actually spent to "earn" those rewards.
  • Whether, and how much, the spending could or would have been less if an alternative was purchased (e.g. buying cheaper wine from Costco as opposed to a specific wine retailer that gave you an Amex offer).
  • The likely alternative economic behavior of the consumer if the extra offers and sign-up bonuses were not available to them, and how much, if any, that would have been less than the actual amount spent.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

For myself, when I make a purchase I look at the applicable tax, cash back, etc. and whatever has the most net value to me is what takes the purchase. I don't purchase based off of who offers the greatest percentage cashback on a CC.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.