cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you get out of toy limits and get big boy limits?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

How did you get out of toy limits and get big boy limits?

From my latest app spree, I was successful and finally got myself big boy limits.  

I've also had a hard time getting decent limits due to past credit issues, but I've been working to resolve that issue, and the hard work has paid off.  Hopefully, I'll continue to get big boy limits in 6 months when I go for the Citi Diamond Preferred and CSP since I'll have "experience" with $5k+ limits.  In 60 days, hopefully AMEX will bump my BCE to $3k (and in 6 months, $9k, in a year, $15k+).

I've had 3 CapOne's for $300 and 2 $500's, which I was able to merge as one account, and a Barclay's card for $500, which I recently CLI'd to $850.  They've served their purpose and got me through rough times, but once I get acquainted with my new cards, they'll be put to pasture.  Those days are behind me.  I don't want any signs of them lingering around remind me of my past.

Finally, big boy limits!

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: How did you get out of toy limits and get big boy limits?

Mine started to grow to "big boy" limits after I got a CLI from Barclays from 1K to 2.2K, then PSECU gave me a 9K VISA. I was floored.

I'm hoping Discovr gives me a nice boost 2 weeks from now, my 6th month.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express got me into "big boy" territory.  Charge cards are great for getting high limits, because their internal limit will grow quickly, much quicker than most credit cards.  After using that for almost 2 years I got a Blue with a $6K limit, which enabled me to close the 2 Cap Ones I had started with and finally be completely done with toy limits.

As long as you give that Amex decent, pay-in-full usage, I definitely think you'll be able to get your limit up there quickly.

Message 3 of 30
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Started with a USAA $1k secured and Military STAR.  Then USAA approved me for higher limit rewards card only a few months later.  After that, I have only seen limits that are greater than my monthly spending capabilities.  I never have to make multiple payments and my util is always good.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recently been migrating away from Toy Limits. Have two Cap1 cards ($300.00 and $750.00). My Orchard was $750.00 but that just got bumped to $950. Recently approved for a $3k Target, $2k Barclay's, $1k Merrick and $600.00 Walmart (that will grow). My credit is gaining momentum now! This time next year, I hope to have the Barclay's close to $3k and Walmart over $1k along with 1-2 Prime cards with CLs of $3k+.

When lenders look at your current credit and decide on what to give you, does it matter if you've had a high balance or just a high limit when they determine if your worthy of a higher limit?  Like my $3k Target, I doubt I'll run it that high Maybe $1k and will try to pay it down quickly. Will future lenders be more likely to give me $3k+ limits because I currently have one?

Message 5 of 30
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Secured cards with big limits.

Message 6 of 30
rtw
Established Contributor

Credit Unions seem to be more willing to extend larger credit lines. 

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 7 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rtw wrote:

Credit Unions seem to be more willing to extend larger credit lines. 

Depends on the CU honestly.  Not all are created equally, and NFCU is not a good measuring stick to go by: they're completely exceptional even when compared to other CU's.

I think it's worthwhile cultivating a relationship with a CU or two, a diversity of accessible lenders is never a bad thing.  I wish I could split up my financial life in a few more ways; however, I'm already struggling to spread my business as it is between BOFA / Chase / USAA / DCU... and Amex "has" to be added in there hopefully sooner rather than later too.  

        
Message 8 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Discover card started with a 1200 limit. They have given me small but steady increases over the last 7 years. My new cards with nice limits have a lot to do with my limit on discover in my opinion.

Also, improved income helps as well.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 30
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

I've had 3 CapOne's for $300 and 2 $500's, which I was able to merge as one account,

How did you do this? I was told this wasn't possible...

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.