Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you test drive your credit?

tag
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Re: How did you test drive your credit?

It's been a long journey for me. About a year ago my job was eliminated and I was able to find a great new job 1000 miles away so I needed to pick up and move. I was getting severance from my old job but it would be weeks before I'd see that money and I needed to move ASAP. I had no savings and a credit card with a $450 limit. I had to use my mother's credit card just to pay for movers and hotels and everything and I'd eventually pay her back. At some point in this process I found this site during the interview phase for my new job. I'd heard they pull credit reports and I was kept up at nights thinking I wouldn't get the job because my scores were in the 580's at the time. Once I got the job and signed my offer I decided to apply for a Capital One Quicksilver card and was approved for $1000. That was in April of last year and it was my first card since intitially destroying my credit in college with a limit over $500. Then in July Credit Karma sent me an email telling me I should apply for the Chase Freedom based on my credit score which was 680 at the time. I applied and was approved and that night I got a majority of the cards I have now. 

Not only do I feel that I've rebuilt, but I'm in a much better place financially than I've ever been. I've never had more than $2000 of open available credit and now I have over 50k. I have cash in savings for the first time ever and super bonus, I have taken 3/4 trips already that have been paid for with points from sign up bonuses with another planned this Summer! I will probably go into the garden in July as I plan on buying a house next summer. A year ago I never would have even dreamed of that!

Thanks MyFico!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 51 of 54
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Same as you, about 680 I decided to stop waiting Smiley Tongue  Similar thing, chevron visa, walmart card, overstock, barclays, chase, discover Smiley Tongue  Have pending/referred on Amex and nasafcu so dont think ill be getting those.  But Ill have to be done for awhile, no other cards worth getting Smiley Tongue Need to get CLIs now!

Only draw back is my scores went from 680-717 to upper 500s in a week Smiley Tongue  Itll probably rebound quick or not, either way I already got the cards!

Message 52 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza, You sure? I think you punched it the day your BK was discharged. Lol.

Message 53 of 54
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Spent 8k on misc household furnature and stuff in the first 2 weeks when I got my Amex. Figured I'd either break it or break it in.

Noticed when I pulled my annual reports Amex softed me almost every week the first month I had it.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 54 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.