Did you mean: 

How did you test drive your credit?

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How did you test drive your credit?

@TrialByFire wrote:
We fall into several types of categories: new to credit, rebuilding, and established. I was wondering how did you test drive your credit once you felt like it was good enough to app for cards?

For the rebuilders, once you hit a certain point did you test drive your newly found improved credit status like a Cadillac, slow and smooth? Or did you run it like a Lamborghini on the autobahn?

Personally, the 690 mark was my threshold(after being sub 500 at one point). At that point, my credit put on gasoline drenched underwear and went dancing around a campfire drunk. Got approved for a 50k auto loan, Chase freedom, Barclay and BCE, among others that I am too ashamed to admit. All on the same day lol. Maybe not the most responsible thing to do but a year later it has worked out pretty good.

So what was your threshold score and did you go slightly crazy with it, like I did, or did you hang on to that precious score for a while? If you went on a massive app spree how far did you take it?

@TrialByFire wrote:
We fall into several types of categories: new to credit, rebuilding, and established. I was wondering how did you test drive your credit once you felt like it was good enough to app for cards?

For the rebuilders, once you hit a certain point did you test drive your newly found improved credit status like a Cadillac, slow and smooth? Or did you run it like a Lamborghini on the autobahn?

Personally, the 690 mark was my threshold(after being sub 500 at one point). At that point, my credit put on gasoline drenched underwear and went dancing around a campfire drunk. Got approved for a 50k auto loan, Chase freedom, Barclay and BCE, among others that I am too ashamed to admit. All on the same day lol. Maybe not the most responsible thing to do but a year later it has worked out pretty good.

So what was your threshold score and did you go slightly crazy with it, like I did, or did you hang on to that precious score for a while? If you went on a massive app spree how far did you take it?
im a rebuilder from a BK7 in 2013.  I had a thick file before filing, so I wasnt scared of credit at all. So, after my discharge, I went all hell bent for election. I apped for everything again, noone was safe, LOL... you dont get 81 inquiires on EQ for being a wuss in apping, LMAO!...( to my defense...I honestly didnt know I have that many until just recently)...Im firmly planted in the garden with over 100k in available credit now. Smiley Wink

Message 31 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@TrialByFire wrote:

@TrialByFire wrote:

im a rebuilder from a BK7 in 2013.  I had a thick file before filing, so I wasnt scared of credit at all. So, after my discharge, I went all hell bent for election. I apped for everything again, noone was safe, LOL... you dont get 81 inquiires on EQ for being a wuss in apping, LMAO!...( to my defense...I honestly didnt know I have that many until just recently)...Im firmly planted in the garden with over 100k in available credit now. Smiley Wink

How do you still have 81 EQ inquiries if they roll themselves over every so often due to CK and other HP.

Message 32 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please don't take this as passing judgement, I'm seriously just curious, how do people do this after a BK? I would think after going through that credit cards would be the last thing you'd want.
Message 33 of 54
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@TrialByFire wrote:

@TrialByFire wrote:

lol x 1,000!

Message 34 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not all BKs are the results of poor choices.

And even when they are... people can learn from their mistakes. Also... having credit doesn't necessarily mean carrying balances.
Message 35 of 54
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Please don't take this as passing judgement, I'm seriously just curious, how do people do this after a BK? I would think after going through that credit cards would be the last thing you'd want.

actually, CC's are the first thing you want and need to rebuild quickly, and get the scores back up. Trying to rebuild from such a catastrophe in your life is not for the faint of heart.  A lot of rejection along the way, and your cursed for 10 yrs till it falls off your reports.

Message 36 of 54
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not all BKs are the results of poor choices.

And even when they are... people can learn from their mistakes. Also... having credit doesn't necessarily mean carrying balances.

AMEN!!!!!  Thank God someone has this attitudeSmiley Happy...Totally agree...Ive got tons of credit, but only have ONE card reporting now with a $12.44 balance. I neve carry balances, always PIF, and my reporting util is 1% despite all my credit, new cards, inquiires etc...  Thank you for saying this!Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 54
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@TrialByFire wrote:

@TrialByFire wrote:

How do you still have 81 EQ inquiries if they roll themselves over every so often due to CK and other HP.

Nixon..IDK...I guess i just replenished them along the way LOLSmiley Wink

Message 38 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like I said, no judgements just sheer curiosity. I had medical issues 7 years ago but fortunately have great insurance. However I saw the amounts insurance shelled out so I can easily see how people can get buried.

It just seems so counterintuitive to go through that then run out and get 100k in credit.
Message 39 of 54
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Like I said, no judgements just sheer curiosity. I had medical issues 7 years ago but fortunately have great insurance. However I saw the amounts insurance shelled out so I can easily see how people can get buried.

It just seems so counterintuitive to go through that then run out and get 100k in credit.

Not everyone is able to run out and get 100k in credit. I just know how to work the system and  get nice CLI on my cards. Plus, it depends on your overall credit profile. I had a very thick file before and a long history with a few of my creditors, who reextended credit to me. Plus, not all my credit is from major cards. Later down the road as Im able to get higher limits on my majors, Ill start closing out store cards, but for now...my file is pretty impressive 1.7 years post a BK7.  

Message 40 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.