Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do BT checks work?

tag
frogfan12
Established Contributor

How do BT checks work?

I received some BT checks in the mail and I was wondering how to use them (it's been nearly 5 years since I last used one). Do you just go to your bank and write a check for whatever amount to transfer that amount? 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: How do BT checks work?

Hey Frogfan12!  The BT checks work just like any check you write from a bank.  The only difference is that it comes off your available credit instead of you bank account.  The checks can be written to you for deposit or cash or you can write them directly to your creditors you wish to pay off.  Each CCC has different ways to handle the checks and BT offers so be sure to read all the small print for example:  transaction fees, APR and terms of the BT, treated like a cash advance with immediate interest and fees....etc.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

I received some BT checks in the mail and I was wondering how to use them (it's been nearly 5 years since I last used one). Do you just go to your bank and write a check for whatever amount to transfer that amount? 

What Bank and Credit Card are they tied to?

What is the offer?

What would you like to pay?

Most these days will let you cash them to your own checking but a couple banks still consider cashing to yoruself as cash advance vs. a BT offer. but I can probably tell you when you answer above ?'s

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@frogfan12 wrote:

What Bank and Credit Card are they tied to?

What is the offer?

What would you like to pay?

Most these days will let you cash them to your own checking but a couple banks still consider cashing to yoruself as cash advance vs. a BT offer. but I can probably tell you when you answer above ?'s

A very good point... although, I think it could be more than a "few" banks these days. OP, remember to read the fine print!

Message 4 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

This is just my experience with those checks sent to me by Cap 1 and an attempt to deposit with Wells Fargo.

WF would not accept those. I had to get a single paper check directly from Cap 1 payable to me before I could deposit it. This was quite awhile ago and I have since only used direct deposit for BT's so I don't know if WF still has that policy.

And as always YMMV.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't for get the transaction fee, usually 3-5 percent, added to the total. In my experience you can deposit these checks directly into your account by writing the check to yourself.  Simply fill in your name and the amount, sign it, and deposit it into your account. Or you can send them directly to the creditor you wish to pay

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.