cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do CC companies determine expiration dates?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do CC companies determine expiration dates?

Looking at the three cards I scored this month, my NFL card expires 1.17, two years. My Cap One QS expires 4.18, three years, three months. My Amex ED expires 1.20, five years. How do they arrive at these dates? Looking at it makes me think that Barclay's trusts me the least, and Amex trusts me the most.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: How do CC companies determine expiration dates?

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at the three cards I scored this month, my NFL card expires 1.17, two years. My Cap One QS expires 4.18, three years, three months. My Amex ED expires 1.20, five years. How do they arrive at these dates? Looking at it makes me think that Barclay's trusts me the least, and Amex trusts me the most.

It's not questiion of trust (as it is trivial for the issuer to close the card if needed).   Might be a small cost consideration, the longer you can wait before mailing out a new card the (slightly) cheaper.   So Amex is being thrifty!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do CC companies determine expiration dates?

Yeah I always thought it was more of a security thing. Also so they can update the card, ie add chip feature or new design or whatever. They may also re-evaluate you at the expiration date, they could also do this at any other time (and likely do far more than onces every three years) so I think that's a more minor reason. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.