cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do CCC's feel about PIF *BEFORE* statement cuts?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

How do CCC's feel about PIF *BEFORE* statement cuts?

Perhaps this may vary by credit card company, however I was just wondering if anyone has experience with how most credit card companies feel about PIF prior to statement cuts?  Would they generally view this as a positive, or could it be perceived as a negative in any way?

In my case, I pay all CC's in full prior to the statement cut, other than one account, for optimum FICO scoring.  When it comes to making the banks happy, I have always wondered if this looks good in their eyes, possibly increasing the chances of a auto-CLI, or if somehow they would not like this.  I assume they like the good payment history, don't like that they do not make any interest, but any positives or negatives beyond this?

Thanks! 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: How do CCC's feel about PIF *BEFORE* statement cuts?

Only company that might have a problem is Amex. Other companies MIGHT not care. Amex MIGHT FR you.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 2 of 23
Involver
Valued Contributor

As long as you are paying your bill on time your lender of choice will not care.

To suggest that American Express with FR you for paying your balance before a statement cut is beyond ridiculous.

Message 3 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Why should it even matter if you pay bills before statement cut or after?  I always pay it before it is due.. Am I missing something?

Message 4 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Only company that might have a problem is Amex. Other companies MIGHT not care. Amex MIGHT FR you.

I would actually say the opposite is true, since AMEX hates balances likes when members PIF.  However, many have reported success with CL growth even with balances.  Anecdotally, high balances with low payments may result in AA.    SyncB appears to like balances to post, since that generates statements and statements allow for CLIs through use of the LUV button (this isn't true for auto-CLIs or calls to Credit Solutions--YMMV).   There there's CCCs, like Citi, that block make it (IMHO) difficult for new cardholders from paying off anything over the posted balance; however, I'm not sure that means that they like posted balances; they may just want to see established use/payment patterns.   It really is YMMV with the CCCs.

(Edited:  my original post was hastily made from my phone and I didn't properly address the complex way in which CCCs view balances and payment.   As I don't want to contribute to misinformation, I have amplified my original post)

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 23
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Involver wrote:

As long as you are paying your bill on time your lender of choice will not care.

To suggest that American Express with FR you for paying your balance before a statement cut is beyond ridiculous.

Totally agree and wish people would stop scaring everyone and convincing everyone that you need to walk around on pins and needles to keep CCCs happy.

OP pay your cards whenever YOU feel like it, on time of course.

Message 6 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Chris679 wrote:

@Involver wrote:

Totally agree and wish people would stop scaring everyone and convincing everyone that you need to walk around on pins and needles to keep CCCs happy.

Exactly.

Message 7 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I would actually say the opposite is true, since AMEX hates balances.    I think it varies with CCC.   SyncB likes balances to post, since that generates statements and statements allow for CLIs.   There there's CCCs, like Citi, that block new cardholders from paying off anything over the posted balance.   It's probably a tossup with other companies.  

Some inacurate points.  AMEX may frown upon carrying a revolving balance for a period of time but not necessarily if someone revolved for 2 or 3 months (again all driven by internal score factors, history, etc.).  Same thing with charge cards, pay before cycle date or after cycle date - as long as it's paid when it's due.  The FR piece is definitely overblown in these forums.

For SYNCB, there is no exact formula and your statement appears inacurate.  I have yet to let any balance report for SYNCB on any of the 10 CC's I have with them and it has not hindered auto-CLIs, let alone requesting one when needed - statements still generate for the great majority of them with a 0 balance.  This will vary by individual of course since all kinds of variables are take into account such as an individual's credit profile.

As far as Citi, incorrect again - there's options.  You can call and make a payment over the phone or push through your bank before the 1st statement is due, so there is nothing "prohibitive".

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

@Involver wrote:

Exactly.

+1 here.

@FinStar wrote:
Some inacurate points.  AMEX may frown upon carrying a revolving balance for a period of time but not necessarily if someone revolved for 2 or 3 months (again all driven by internal score factors, history, etc.).  Same thing with charge cards, pay before cycle date or after cycle date - as long as it's paid when it's due.  The FR piece is definitely overblown in these forums.

I had completely the opposite experience with AMEX and carrying a balance as i've said many times.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Membersince2013 wrote:

How original, bringing Amex as a monster in another fabricated horror credit story.

The only problem with PIF before statement cut is that lately EX reporting has changed and they are not reporting activity prior to Statement Cut.

In the past, even if you paid before SC, if had a highest balance record, for example, it would be reported by EX.  Last month, I broke three high balance records, with three different banks, I didn't let any of them post and EX did not report one iota of activity in any of the three accounts.  That is new and I don't like it.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.