cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I best use my AMEX gold card points?

tag
cabronsaim
Contributor

How do I best use my AMEX gold card points?

It will soon be a year that I opened an AMEX gold card for the first time.

My credit was around 670 with one collection and one late payment on accounts that were about 3 years old when I applied. Perfect on time payments on everything else since the collection happened.

I have been using AMEX gold for almost all my day to day expenses, which arent much really but I do have something like 25000 points.

i know this isnt a lot but I do want to know what a good use for them when i decide to use them

I see that buying gift cards, etc isnt really a good bargain.

What do you guys recommend?

I do not have any "miles" cards, I heard some good stuff about them, can anyone explain how these 2 go together?

thanks in advance.

3/30/12: EX: 680 TU:667 EQ: 655
4/14/12: EX: 680 TU:678 EQ: 670

BOFA: 0/1k / CAP1: 0/1.75k / CITI: 700/2k / AMEX Gold:NPSL
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do I best use my AMEX gold card points?

You can transfer MR points to any of Amex's partners, which include some airlines and some hotels.  I know for some of the airlines, like British Airways, there are occasional bonuses, like a 30% bonus where you transfer your points to their program and you get 30% more miles (for BA they're called "Avios") when you do.  I would pick an airline or hotel program to transfer your points to, then wait until there's a bonus period and transfer them then.  You have to be signed up for that airline's program, but that's not hard to do. The British Airways program is a good deal since you can use Avios on the British Airways partner American Airlines, and they're a great value for short-haul flights, like its only 4500 Avios for San Francisco to LA flight, where on most airlines it would be a lot more.

Message 2 of 14
cabronsaim
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Im still confused tough...

Do I need to have one of those "miles" credit cards open for this matter or should i just open a membership account with the airline?

Message 3 of 14
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

@cabronsaim wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Im still confused tough...

Do I need to have one of those "miles" credit cards open for this matter or should i just open a membership account with the airline?

You don't need the airlines credit card to obtain membership status.  Simply go to the various airlines and sign up for free.  Once registered you will have an account number/membership number. Use that number to link on the AMEX website.

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 4 of 14
cabronsaim
Contributor

Ohhh my....
Is this for real?
I just followed your advise and, even tough the 30% more promotion seems to be over, i t appears to be that MR points are WAY more valuable with british airways.
Their website just quoted me 12500 avios for a trip from LAX to NYC when the regular price for that on american airlines is around 500 dlls....

Message 5 of 14
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

It is 12500 avios one way. So a round trip transcon would 25000 avios.
Message 6 of 14
cabronsaim
Contributor

Okkkkk....
Still way better than using within AMEX.
Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Glad it worked out!  Yes, Avios are a great deal on American.  If you happen to need Visa down the line, the Chase British Airways Visa is offering 50,000 Avios for spending $1000 in the first three months you have the card.

Message 8 of 14
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Actually, I think that offer ended in February - double-check before you apply.

Message 9 of 14
cabronsaim
Contributor

Damn.
Thats tempting but i dont think i should be applying right now.
I have about 43% Util.and several HP's on my CR. My FICO is 673 Equifax, 696 TU and 692 Experian fako with one 6 y/0 late payment and one 6 y/o coll still showing on one CRA.
I was actually thinking of doing the Amex delta... thats 30000 points in 3 months with 5$00 spent...
Shoukd I??
My Amex npsl is over 12k right now..

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.