Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim my Amex Sky Points?

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

How do I claim my Amex Sky Points?

So when I got my Amex Sky card, it took an offer that gave me 15,000 points after I spend $250 with them.

Well I have more than spent that much and I'm wondering how do I claim my points? When I'm looking at my account online, it still says 0 points.

Do I have to pay the bill first for it to show up?

Do I have to wait for the 1st billing cycle?

I just don't want to loose my points because I remember reading something about using it within a certain amount of time and also that it takes a certain amount of time to "get" the points onto the statement???

Any help is appreciated.

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: How do I claim my Amex Sky Points?

@audia4 wrote:

So when I got my Amex Sky card, it took an offer that gave me 15,000 points after I spend $250 with them.

Well I have more than spent that much and I'm wondering how do I claim my points? When I'm looking at my account online, it still says 0 points.

I just don't want to loose my points because I remember reading something about using it within a certain amount of time and also that it takes a certain amount of time to "get" the points onto the statement???

Any help is appreciated.

Most of the time they show up after you pay your first bill Amex can be slow to credit points for some reason 

My Amex lowe's runs a month behindSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 15
audia4
Established Contributor

So far we charged about $279 that has "cleared" with them. There's another $650 "pending". Right now, the only thing that we can actually "pay on" according to them, is the $279. (It was just charged last week).

If I go ahead and pay the $279 right now (which is enough for them to credit me the 15,000 in points since I only had to spend $250), is that a good idea? Then "maybe" it "could" post on the upcoming statement that will cut later this month (which would be my first billing from them?). At least they would know that we charged the amount required AND paid for it in full already.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it since I really need to get my vacation paid for as soon as I can and hoping that the points don't take forever to show up and I will be able to use it for this vacation. I really don't want to wait for the last minute to book things because the prices only go up the closer we get.

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 3 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

So far we charged about $279 that has "cleared" with them. There's another $650 "pending". Right now, the only thing that we can actually "pay on" according to them, is the $279. (It was just charged last week).

If I go ahead and pay the $279 right now (which is enough for them to credit me the 15,000 in points since I only had to spend $250), is that a good idea? Then "maybe" it "could" post on the upcoming statement that will cut later this month (which would be my first billing from them?). At least they would know that we charged the amount required AND paid for it in full already.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it since I really need to get my vacation paid for as soon as I can and hoping that the points don't take forever to show up and I will be able to use it for this vacation. I really don't want to wait for the last minute to book things because the prices only go up the closer we get.

That should work if you pay what's posted now....my Discover,Barclay, points show up right away amex is always the next billing cycle

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 15
audia4
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

That should work if you pay what's posted now....my Discover,Barclay, points show up right away amex is always the next billing cycle

Ok done. Now I'm just going to tap my fingers until I see it appear on my statement. lol  Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 15
adavis425
Established Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

I've never had to remind AmEx about bonus points. I would give them a call to be sure your points don't fall through the cracks. Generally, my points/credits have been awarded within a couple days of meeting the spend req.  Last week I took advantage of an offer of a $30 statement credit when I spent $100 at an online retailer. The $30 was credited the day after I ordered. Otoh, AmEx is notoriously slow at awarding just the monthly points/miles to your account. I'd call. Good luck!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 6 of 15
audia4
Established Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

I've never had to remind AmEx about bonus points. I would give them a call to be sure your points don't fall through the cracks. Generally, my points/credits have been awarded within a couple days of meeting the spend req.  Last week I took advantage of an offer of a $30 statement credit when I spent $100 at an online retailer. The $30 was credited the day after I ordered. Otoh, AmEx is notoriously slow at awarding just the monthly points/miles to your account. I'd call. Good luck!

Well since we just spent the amount last week and I just PIF on that amount tonight AND with it being a holiday, I'm going to give them this week and see if anything pops up. If it doesn't, then I'll probably call just to inquire about it and see what they tell me.

Message 7 of 15
audia4
Established Contributor

So another question for you fine people...

I paid that $200+ "cleared" charges that night. Now another $700+ has cleared and for the last 2 days, I have been trying to pay it but when I go to the "make a payment" it will not give me the option to pay the charges. It just says "no payment is due now" and you can't click on anything to pay. I believe it's been about 3-4 days since the last payment and that payment has "cleared" already and is showing as a payment on my online statement.

Why won't it let me make another payment? I know with some of the other cc's you have to wait 24 hours. Does Amex make you wait a lot longer? There's no way I want this amount reporting on my report. Hubby charges a good 5-10k a month and we are using it for the points, but I want to make payments on the charged amounts at least 1-2 times a week to stay up on it.

Someone let me know if you have a certain "waiting period" before being able to make another payment and if so, how long is it? (I really hope you are not only allowed to make 1 payment each month). Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

If you are having issues paying through their site, you always have the option of "pushing" a payment from your bank, using your banks Bill Payment system.

Message 9 of 15
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

So another question for you fine people...

I paid that $200+ "cleared" charges that night. Now another $700+ has cleared and for the last 2 days, I have been trying to pay it but when I go to the "make a payment" it will not give me the option to pay the charges. It just says "no payment is due now" and you can't click on anything to pay. I believe it's been about 3-4 days since the last payment and that payment has "cleared" already and is showing as a payment on my online statement.

Why won't it let me make another payment? I know with some of the other cc's you have to wait 24 hours. Does Amex make you wait a lot longer? There's no way I want this amount reporting on my report. Hubby charges a good 5-10k a month and we are using it for the points, but I want to make payments on the charged amounts at least 1-2 times a week to stay up on it.

Someone let me know if you have a certain "waiting period" before being able to make another payment and if so, how long is it? (I really hope you are not only allowed to make 1 payment each month). Smiley Sad

Is this your first AMEX? If so I am in the same boat, it's because of our new bank account being linked, with any new bank account linked you can only make 1 payment from it in the first 30 days, since I now pay weekly, this is throwing me for a loop as well and I have no idea how to "push" a payment from chase. I have to sit on this 40% balance until the 20th!!!!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.