cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get CLI on Discover with soft pull?

tag
pgyagnzia
Established Member

How do I get CLI on Discover with soft pull?

I'm still on my initial CL which is $500. I've had the card for over 2 years, always pay on time, 98% of the time PIF.
I tried 4 times to get CLI, spoke to their CLI department twice, sent them message,etc. They won't do without a hard pull.
I just got approved for Amex for $9,900, so I'm ready to close the Discover account because of the low CL, but I'm going on vacation and would like to use Discover because there's no FTF.
So my question is do they always do HP for every CLI? Anyone got it with only SP? How do you do it?
Thank you everyone!
I've learned A LOT from reading this forum, thanks for your inputs and for sharing your experiences.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Richierichdollar
New Contributor

Re: How do I get CLI on Discover with soft pull?

I wonder on this also. My limit is more than that but I would like to know if they do sp or hp. To the poster if they do a hard pull it will be worth it if you credit and such are in order cause I think they will match you highest card or better. Being that you got that out the gate with that company I am pretty sure you will do good with a hp. It will pay on you trip a cross seas

Message 2 of 19
pgyagnzia
Established Member

I'm confident that they would do CLI with a HP. They don't even have to match my Amex (my highest CL). I'd be happy with $3000. The thing is I don't want HP. I just had 1 INQ for the Amex last month. I don't know how this is gonna affect my score. Among all my cards, Discover is the only one with no FTF so i really wanna use it when I travel overseas. Last year, I used my BofA and got $70 FTF. I don't wanna do that again.

Message 3 of 19
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

I think if you want an increase you're gonna have to go for an HP.  If you only have one other inquiry its not a big deal....did I read that right that you have only one?  Anyway the slight ding of an HP begins to wither away after a few months and I think gone by 6 months.  But since you've had the card for 2 years and no CLI I seriously doubt you could get away without it.  

Have you tried to request an increase online?  It will let you know if it will be an HP because it will ask you after you put your info in if you want to proceed.  And if you go through with it and don't get what you want you can still recon.  

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 4 of 19
pgyagnzia
Established Member

Yes, only 1 INQ within the last 1.5 years, which is last month for Amex. I tried online, they have the option if I'd be willing to do HP i picked no. They replied saying that according to Credit Act 2009 (or something like that, i forgot) they have to do HP.

Message 5 of 19
pgyagnzia
Established Member

Also I'm planning to rent my own apartment in the fall (around Sept or Oct). I don't want too many INQs. I need some advice please

Message 6 of 19
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

I think you are being overly sensitive to INQs.  In the grand scheme of things, having 2 or 3 in the span of a year is really nothing to worry about.  And it's possible they won't all be on the same report, but even if they are, it's really not something to be concerned about.  Plus, you have a great reason for wanting the CLI and a HP is well worth the cost of saving the FTFs.

Good luck and let us know the outcome if you go for it (I would do it in a heartbeat!).

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 7 of 19
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

I think you are being overly sensitive to INQs.  In the grand scheme of things, having 2 or 3 in the span of a year is really nothing to worry about.  And it's possible they won't all be on the same report, but even if they are, it's really not something to be concerned about.  Plus, you have a great reason for wanting the CLI and a HP is well worth the cost of saving the FTFs.

Good luck and let us know the outcome if you go for it (I would do it in a heartbeat!).

+1

Yes I agree that OP is looking at HP's as the kiss of death but its really not.  A lot of us complain about them because we are seeking new credit (i.e. rebuilding, building or just a dream card) so we don't want them on our reports.  That's because creditors sometimes use that as a denial reason.  But in the OP's case there is nothing to worry about.  Heck I have at least 9 inquiries on each CRA and it hasn't stopped me from getting anything.  There was one poster on here who had some insane amount like 50 inquiries.  So OP, just go for the CLI and take the HP.  It won't harm you at all especially with only having one inquiry....wish I could say that Smiley Happy.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 8 of 19
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

You are being a bit too inq sensitive.  With only 2 recent inqs, you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Most people here have far more.

Edit: Depending on where you are going, I've heard Discover is not that widely accepted outside the US. Keep that in mind. Also, be sure to call your CCC's before using the cards internationally.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 9 of 19
pgyagnzia
Established Member

Ok good peeps of fico, so I finally pulled the trigger and called them.

I talked to person 1 and asked for CLI to $5000, got approved for $2000, of course with HP, then I counter counter-offered (haha) her for $3000 and mentioned that I got approved for $9,900 last month by AMEX. She then transfered me to Person 2 who asked me questions about my employment status, the company I work for, my college, etc. GOT APPROVED FOR $5000!!!!!!! YYAAAAAAYYYYYY!

I immediately logged in and saw my CL $5000. And while browsing their website, I saw 2% cashback bonus for purchases made in the Carribean, which is where I'm going next week, called them again (the only way) and signed up. In a minute I got a confirmation email where they also place a security feature for uninterrupted use of the card while I'm there.

What a good day. I'm loving Discover.

Thanks all!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.